Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So my parents and relatives have had the assumption pretty much my whole life that I'm going to be a doctor, but now I'm in year 11 and I have to decide my A levels soon I really don't think it's for me?
    Basically I love science and I'd love to do a career in science, and I'm decent enough at it, but I'm socially inept lol (I'm introverted and shy but my therapist alludes that I have social anxiety too).
    I know that interaction is needed in pretty much every career so I'll just have to work on it I guess, but I can't see myself doing medicine which is highly people-based (even to get into med school I'd have to do tons of volunteering and things). I find things like research interesting but to be honest I don't really have a passion for helping people, so it would probably be really difficult for me to even get into med school.
    At my school we usually do 4 A levels or 3 and an EPQ, but a teacher suggested that if you want to do medicine, you should just do 3 because you should focus on other things to boost your application. So I kind of need to decide now. Sorry for rambly post but any advice at all would be appreciated this is giving me so much anxiety.
    The A levels i'm considering doing (if I weren't to do just bio chem maths): biology, chemistry, maths, psychology, computer science, physics, spanish (last 3 I do really love and would be sad to drop)

ReputationRep:
    hi dont do medicine if u dont want its ur life and dont waste ur skills on a job u dont like and a lot of people who do medicine are really passionate about it and u have to be passionate about it if u are to succeed take some time to research careers in research science see what alvels u need and definitely add at least 1 alvel that u really enjoy like the last three talk to ur parents and they will understand because there is no point being stuck in a carees that you don't like

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree with the comment above. Do the subjects that you kind interesting and all those subject combinations have many career paths so don't worry. Maybe you could make a list of the subjects and write the pros and cons, and make a rating out of 10. The higher the rating is, the more you like it and pick it. I know I did that when deciding between French and Physics

ReputationRep:
    It's hard but you have to make these decisions for yourself- not your parents or relatives. There are so many other science related careers other than medicine and medicine definitely requires more than a love and aptitude for science.

If you're not ready to devote your life to medicine then just don't even consider it. From year 12 you will need to start doing lots of volunteer work as you said and, whilst it's valuable it itself, there's no point spending 10 hours a week doing so many things that you will neither enjoy nor benefit from. And that's only from the beginning- you don't want to devote your whole career and life to something so important that you will not love or devote yourself to.

ReputationRep:
    'Being a Doctor' isn't everything, ask any Junior Doctor - and there are plenty of other, equally valuable, areas to work in.

Look at other related areas like ..... Biochemistry, Applied Anatomy, Physiology, Cellular & Molecular Medicine, Medical Science, Pharmacy, Neuroscience, Psychology etc.

Its you who has to do this training and the eventual job - not your family. Go for something where you will feel the happiest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roon213)
    hi dont do medicine if u dont want its ur life and dont waste ur skills on a job u dont like and a lot of people who do medicine are really passionate about it and u have to be passionate about it if u are to succeed take some time to research careers in research science see what alvels u need and definitely add at least 1 alvel that u really enjoy like the last three talk to ur parents and they will understand because there is no point being stuck in a carees that you don't like
    I just really can't decide if i want to or not, my gut is telling me to not but my parents say I'll regret it later because of the benefits like job security
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You can go into Medicine doing Maths, Chemistry, and Physics (and Further Maths, optionally) while also keeping Computer Science, Physics, and Engineering as options at university if you change your mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julian11)
    I completely agree with the comment above. Do the subjects that you kind interesting and all those subject combinations have many career paths so don't worry. Maybe you could make a list of the subjects and write the pros and cons, and make a rating out of 10. The higher the rating is, the more you like it and pick it. I know I did that when deciding between French and Physics
    that's a good idea because i'm really stuck on what A levels to pick, i know i've got a while to decide but every combination i think of feels wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roon213)
    this x10. medicine isnt rewarding unless you actually want to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    You can go into Medicine doing Maths, Chemistry, and Physics (and Further Maths, optionally) while also keeping Computer Science, Physics, and Engineering as options at university if you change your mind.
    i love biology though... is it too much to do maths bio chem and physics? it's because my school doesn't offer AS anymore, so i guess i could do those 4 and drop one if it got too much
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by computuring)
    i love biology though... is it too much to do maths bio chem and physics? it's because my school doesn't offer AS anymore, so i guess i could do those 4 and drop one if it got too much
    Not really...you could well end up stretching yourself too thin doing 4 full separate subjects.

Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and Further Maths might be a better option, since Maths + FM is generally considered to be less work than two separate A-levels - and if you take the mechanics options in FM, you'll have a decent physics background and be well placed to apply to engineering courses that don't require physics (they do exist). Also apparently you can do Part IA Physics in Cambridge Nat Sci if you do Maths and FM with all mechanics options...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.