The Student Room Group

Running????

Hey Student Room!

I am thinking about starting to go for daily runs as I feel I am getting a little overweight.

I am 6ft and weigh about 15st and my BMI is overweight.

I was just wondering if anyone can suggest a good starting distance on how far I should run as im a beginner.

Thank you all! :smile:
start small, maybe 0.5km and build it up to 5km in a month/6 months - then start building it up to about 10km over the year?
start small and don't over work yourself. and remember to warm up and cool down before and after!
Hey there. I started running about 2 years ago and I was in a similar position to you. I would first recommend you to start running for just 20 minutes each day. Distance isn't important to start off with. It's about how long you can keep running. Start off with by running for 20 minutes a day (it can be a jog as well). Do this Monday,Tuesday, Thursday and Friday so you get 3 days rest. Every week, increase the time by 5 minutes and after 3 to 4 weeks, increase your pace. Once you can run comfortably for 25-30 minutes, start increasing your time and or distance and then slowly add about 10-15% to your running plan and progress from there.
For beginners, I'd suggest not using a treadmill. Calorie meters are misleading and the speed can consume you if you haven't gotten used to running.
Instead, start with a route that seems easy to walk, run that route instead, and compare your walking and running times. Aim for your running to be twice as fast as walking (without stopping to catch breath)
I've just started running (3 weeks now) and I've been using the couch to 5K app, its about 30 minutes for each run/walk and it really helps to pace me, builds you up to be able to run 5K or 30 minutes in 9 weeks time
Mine has Sarah Millican telling me to run :smile:
Reply 5
Wow thanks all, I really appreciate the hints. Maybe i should focus on a time rather than a distance!
Original post by jhh96
Hey Student Room!

I am thinking about starting to go for daily runs as I feel I am getting a little overweight.

I was just wondering if anyone can suggest a good starting distance on how far I should run as im a beginner.

Start off alternating between running (or jogging) and walking for half an hour or so. Then gradually aim to do more running and less walking until you're running the whole time. You could try Parkrun which does 5k runs (feel free to walk them - at my local run you get finishing times from 16 minutes to over an hour) as they provide a good way to track your progress.

Just a warning: excercising to lose weight isn't terribly effective, and many people subconsciously compensate for it by eating more. Running is a great way to get fit, but you need to look at your diet as well.
Reply 7
Original post by jhh96
Hey Student Room!

The NHS couch to 5km app is supposed to be good-it is like interval training. Once you are good enough, I would recommend Parkrun, who have brilliant free 5KM timed events all over the country for a range of abilities. You should use this as a long term goal to motivate yourself, but remember to build it up slowly and not to loose motivation. We were all like you once, even the super fast runners.
Original post by jhh96
Hey Student Room!

Focus on the time you are running for to begin with. Run whatever pace you have to to run for that time. Find a plan online to get you to 5k. Once you can do that then you can start to increase the pace.
Your first run should be 1 to 3 miles at most. The goal isn't to get fit or run fast, but rather to see how your body responds to running and then decide.
Original post by smartdrugsrx
Your first run should be 1 to 3 miles at most. The goal isn't to get fit or run fast, but rather to see how your body responds to running and then decide.

That's too far for a beginner. As mentioned, start off with couch to 5k.
Couch to 5k
Original post by TheMindGarage
Start off alternating between running (or jogging) and walking for half an hour or so. Then gradually aim to do more running and less walking until you're running the whole time. You could try Parkrun which does 5k runs (feel free to walk them - at my local run you get finishing times from 16 minutes to over an hour) as they provide a good way to track your progress.

Just a warning: excercising to lose weight isn't terribly effective, and many people subconsciously compensate for it by eating more. Running is a great way to get fit, but you need to look at your diet as well.

100% this!

Do not become fixated on training and feeling compelled that it's a satisfactory solution to weight gain, obesity is from excessive eating (which in turn is made worse my lack of exercise). Simply put, your body is made in the kitchen, running is superb for fitness but not optimal for losing weight on its own.
Jojn a club, make it fun and sociable. Also, take it easy, getting to the first 5k is the toughest, but after that it is a lot easier to increase to 10ks and half marathons. Also, try and get off road, it is is worth getting muddy and a great feeling. But remember to mx it up with outher exercise, even run/walking.
The fat starts burning only after 40 minutes of workout...So my advice is to lift weights at first for nearly 35-40 minutes and only after that to start running (if you want to lose weight).
Original post by WalterShannon
The fat starts burning only after 40 minutes of workout...So my advice is to lift weights at first for nearly 35-40 minutes and only after that to start running (if you want to lose weight).

lol
any exercise is great, but be sure to have a decent diet too. i don't exercise huge amounts- half an hour one day, 10-15 minutes others but i dropped down from a size 10 to 8 in clothes; this was more to my diet i think
See if there's a parkrun near you. Some of them do have couch to 5k groups there.

Quick Reply

Latest