Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How and to what extent does the number of other undergraduates studying your course at your chosen college affect a) your chances of admission and b) your university experience (e.g. social life)?

I'm applying for Japanese, which comes under Oriental Studies. Would my university experience be any different if I were at Pembroke, say (which has 35 undergraduates doing Oriental Studies, so probably 5-8 doing Japanese) compared to somewhere like St John's (which has 7 doing Oriental Studies so probably 1 or 2 doing Japanese)?

Thanks in advance
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by armyoctopus)
    How and to what extent does the number of other undergraduates studying your course at your chosen college affect a) your chances of admission and b) your university experience (e.g. social life)?

I'm applying for Japanese, which comes under Oriental Studies. Would my university experience be any different if I were at Pembroke, say (which has 35 undergraduates doing Oriental Studies, so probably 5-8 doing Japanese) compared to somewhere like St John's (which has 7 doing Oriental Studies so probably 1 or 2 doing Japanese)?

Thanks in advance
    a) your choice of college should not (as a rule) affect your chances of admission to the university. The system is designed so that everyone is assessed fairly.:yep: There are statistics which try to show otherwise, but the numbers are not very dramatic and tend to fluctuate each year.

b) This will maybe affect your experience, mostly though the size of the college more than the number on your course. If you prefer a smaller community of people then maybe Corpus Christi would be better for you than Christ Church. This is a good reason to base your college selection, the above isn't.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.