Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 21.00.36.png
Views: 8
Size:  59.0 KB
    Can I please have some help on this problem. I have knowledge up to s2 and I'm not sure how to do this problem.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnturner)
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 21.00.36.png
Views: 8
Size:  59.0 KB
    Can I please have some help on this problem. I have knowledge up to s2 and I'm not sure how to do this problem.
    These facts could be written like this:

P(alarm triggered | burglary) = 0.95
    P(alarm triggered | no burglary) = 0.01
    P(burglary) = 0.005

Does this help?

Also, "Based on previous false alarms..." may indicate that the sample size is small or that the data isn't reliable. But I may be putting too much thought into this - you probably just need to do the maths and not go into too much depth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    These facts could be written like this:

P(alarm triggered | burglary) = 0.95
    P(alarm triggered | no burglary) = 0.01
    P(burglary) = 0.005

Does this help?

Also, "Based on previous false alarms..." may indicate that the sample size is small or that the data isn't reliable. But I may be putting too much thought into this - you probably just need to do the maths and not go into too much depth.
    Thank you for this information, Would you do P(A and B) = 0.95*0.05 = 0.00475 so 0.475% (where A is alarm triggered and B is burglary). Im not sure if that is the answer because it doesn't use part B. Am I trying to find P(A and B)? Actually am I supposed to be finding out p(B given A)?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for this information, Would you do P(A and B) = 0.95*0.05 = 0.00475 so 0.475% (where A is alarm triggered and B is burglary). Im not sure if that is the answer because it doesn't use part B. Am I trying to find P(A and B)?
    No you need to find

P(burglary | alarm triggered)

ReputationRep:
    No you need to find

P(burglary | alarm triggered)
    Finding it difficult to form an equation here. I know that p(b|a) = p(b and a)/p(a). I found out that p(a and b) is 0.00475. I'm not sure how I will go about finding p(a) here. Ive been trying to manipulate the second equation to get something but it hasn't been successful

ReputationRep:
    P(b|a) = p(b)p(a|b) / p(b)p(a|b)*p(b')p(a|b')

(Bayes' Theorem)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Finding it difficult to form an equation here. I know that p(b|a) = p(b and a)/p(a). I found out that p(a and b) is 0.00475. I'm not sure how I will go about finding p(a) here. Ive been trying to manipulate the second equation to get something but it hasn't been successful
    Hint: P(A and B') + P(A and B) = P(A)

You can use a Venn Diagram to see this is true.

Or you could do this all directly using a form of Bayes Theorem but I don't know which probability formulas you know.

ReputationRep:
    Hint: P(A and B' + P(A and B) = P(A)

You can use a Venn Diagram to see this is true.

Or you could do this all directly using a form of Bayes Theorem but I don't know which probability formulas you know.
    I think it's my fault for trying to do the problem sheet early - Im sure the intended method was using bases theorem which I am yet to learn. However from using that information you have p(A and B') = p(B')*0.01 = 0.00995. Then you have p(a) = 0.00995+0.00475 = 0.00147(1.47%). would this be the solution
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I think it's my fault for trying to do the problem sheet early - Im sure the intended method was using bases theorem which I am yet to learn. However from using that information you have p(A and B')= p(B')*0.01 = 0.00995. Then you have p(a) = 0.00995+0.00475 = 0.00147(1.47%). would this be the solution
    You need to find P(b | a) to answer the question.

ReputationRep:
    You need to find P(b | a) to answer the question.
    oh yeah. so p(a and b)/p(a) = 0.00475/0.00147 = 3.23 - wouldn't that be 323% or am I making a mistake somewhere
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah. so p(a and b)/p(a) = 0.00475/0.00147 = 3.23 - wouldn't that be 323% or am I making a mistake somewhere
    In your post before this one you said

0.00995+0.00475 = 0.00147

But that's not right

ReputationRep:
    In your post before this one you said

0.00995+0.00475 = 0.00147

But that's not right
    Wow, yeah it's 0.0147, not sure if I should put that down to tiredness or incompetence. May be both. So it would be 32.3%, thank you for your help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.