Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Our homework is to write a story set in ancient Greece that incorporates the definitions for the following terms:
    - FCFS and SJF scheduling
    - distributed and embedded operating systems
    - BIOS

Defining the terms isn't really an issue, it's just having to incorporate them into a story. I don't have much of an imagination and I always struggled with the creative writing part in english. Would anyone be able to give me some advice/tips or a prompt? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kamila_Kamizaki)
    Our homework is to write a story set in ancient Greece that incorporates the definitions for the following terms:
    - FCFS and SJF scheduling
    - distributed and embedded operating systems
    - BIOS

Defining the terms isn't really an issue, it's just having to incorporate them into a story. I don't have much of an imagination and I always struggled with the creative writing part in english. Would anyone be able to give me some advice/tips or a prompt? Thanks in advance

Wow - I'd never have thought something like this would be a homework task. Sounds a bit of a 'tick a box' job to set something like this. Reminds me of the Scottish Curriculum for Excellence.

If you have no issue defining the terms, then I would suggest the issue seems to be about coming up with a story set in ancient Greece. This strikes me as an English/Creative Writing problem. I'm not sure I particularly get the point of the homework. Defining and understanding these terms is perfectly reasonable for a homework task, but incorporating it into a story set in Ancient Greece seems ridiculous. But hey, I'm not a teacher, so what do I know?!

I'd start by writing down definitions of the each of the terms you need to discuss, and then start to write something related to it. I'd consider myself a creative person, but I'd struggle to incorporate it. These are technology specific terms, and not relevant to Ancient Greece. My best suggestion would be to use some form of analogy or metaphor in Ancient Greek times which could represent a similar concept to the terms. But yeah - sorry - sounds like you've been given a pretty naff bit of homework.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.