The Student Room Group

Evaluation of learning strengths and weaknesses in relation to a learning theory

I am undergoing a access to higher education course at the moment, but really struggling with the first assignments lol . To say I have not done any form of learning since leaving school 10 years ago, starting this course was probably not the best idea to jump straight into.

The question is based on my own SWAT analysis, which i have already done. However, now its asking for an evaluation, although its asking that i relate it to a learning theory.

Now i might sound thick right now, but can someone help maybe give me some examples of what they are talking about. I know about a few learning theories, but how do you evaluate a SWAT in relation to a learning theory. I just need some examples people may of used to give me an idea of how to evaluate my own SWAT.

Scroll to see replies

hi i just did this question and didn't really understand it either but somehow managed to pass it. i chose kolb's learning cycle and just talked about how it helped me figure out what kind of learner i am and how this helped me realise why i have certain strengths and weaknesses. hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Just bumping this thread, as I too am now stumped by this question. If anyone can offer some guidance or ideas I'd really appreciate it....
Im currently on this question, I too am studying an access to higher education course. I was just wondering if you had studied Honey and Mumford(1982) struggling to decide whether their
Reply 4
Original post by HollieH2018
Im currently on this question, I too am studying an access to higher education course. I was just wondering if you had studied Honey and Mumford(1982) struggling to decide whether their

Hi Hollie, sorry for delay. No I read about the Kolbs and the Maslows, as found these two most relatable and easiest to kinda explain and relate to. X
Reply 5
Did anyone pass this unit that is able to help me with mine ? I really do not understand what im supposed to do
Could anyone give me any pointers? I'm really struggling.

Cheers

J
This is what I wrote hopefully will give you a basis to relate to your own, I completed the Honey
Original post by Jbutler55
Could anyone give me any pointers? I'm really struggling.

Cheers

J

I wrote the below hopefully will give you some direction to answer in relation to your SWOT:
I have identified my strengths and weaknesses in relation to learning by completing a SWOT analysis based on my experiences in a work environment (See attached SWOT Analysis V2). I am going to evaluate them using the Kolb’s experiential learning theory, Kolb (1975) and the Honey and Mumford (1972) Learning Styles.

Kolb’s learning theory consists of four key stages within a learning cycle Concrete Experience, Observations & Reflection, Formation of Concepts & Generalisations and Testing/ Active Experimentation. The theory assumes that the learning cycle begins with an experience “Learning is the process whereby knowledge is created through the transformation of experience” (Kolb, 1984, p. 38) and once all stages of the cycle are complete a new experience is born. I can apply this theory to my past learning, for example when I had to do a presentation for around 200 clients, I began with a mock presentation to my colleagues, we then discussed what went well and what needed improving, the feedback was to be more engaged with my audience so I decided to use prompt cards to remind me of the order of presentation which would stop me from searching through my notepad every ten minutes and give me more time to make eye contact with my audience, I then presented to the same group again testing the changes I had made. I did this several times using the same cycle and each time gaining confidence, refining the skills, and delivering a better presentation than the last.

Honey and Mumford (1972) identified four learning styles which correlate to each stage of Kolb’s Learning Cycle - Activist, Reflector, Theorist and Pragmatist, Mobbs, D. (2010). Individuals are thought to have a learning style preference.

“Honey and Mumford suggest that understanding and being self-aware of your learning style preference can maximise your learning experience, improve learning skills, help you to become a more effective learner and open the door to a variety of potential learning opportunities”, Zwanenberg (2016). Honey and Mumford University of Leicester. [online]. They developed a Learning Styles Questionnaire which I completed to further understand my own learning style which indicated that I am a Reflector, followed closely by an Activist (See attached H and M Learning Styles Questionnaire).

I agree that I primarily have the characteristics of the Reflector (See Honey & Mumford 1986 Definition). For example, in the past I have missed deadlines due to spending too much time at the Observation and Reflection Stage, gathering information and then pondering over it for too long resulting in poor time management which directly links to my SWOT analysis weakness.

Exploring the above theory has given me valuable insight into how I apply myself to the learning cycle and emphasised the need to adapt to other learning styles in the future to be able to achieve my goals. I feel more confident in my ability to quickly identify how I need to apply myself to tasks giving more consideration to how challenging they may be for me.

I need to be mindful that as a Reflector engaging with an online learning platform with minimal interaction that I will not get the direction and reassurance that I seek to push forward, and I will need to hone in on my Activist traits to ensure that I do not procrastinate.
Thank you so much @Gemstar290, that's a massive help!
No worries my original reply didnt upload properly so just to add do the honey and mumford questionnaire and upload this will give you some evidence as well! Good Luck
Quick question- I'm currenyly answering this question on an access course and there's a 500 word limit. Does this limit include citations in the body text?
No they are not included in Harvard referencing.
Original post by alei7899
Quick question- I'm currenyly answering this question on an access course and there's a 500 word limit. Does this limit include citations in the body text?

No your reference tags do not count. Neither do direct quotes but they should never exceed 10% of the total word count otherwise you begin to walk the fine line of plagiarism even if you reference properly. My tutor always told us that basically nothing anyone has ever said is so world changing that it needs to be directly quoted.
Thank you, I think I’ve cracked it and fingers crossed what I’ve wrote is right
how did people get on with this question? I'm currently doing it and i'm worried i'm going to fail! I've chosen Mumford and Honey as I think it applies to my strengths and weaknesses well. Any advice or help would be appreciated though :smile:
Original post by Articultr
hi i just did this question and didn't really understand it either but somehow managed to pass it. i chose kolb's learning cycle and just talked about how it helped me figure out what kind of learner i am and how this helped me realise why i have certain strengths and weaknesses. hope this helps :smile:

How did you pass this question?! I must know!!!
Original post by Courtypeach
How did you pass this question?! I must know!!!

Have you completed this question at all? I feel like hitting my head up a brick wall, seriously can’t get to grips with what I’m meant to be doing and referencing?
So glad I found this thread and realised I'm not the only person hitting their head against a brick wall with it. Out of interest, who are you doing your access course with? I'm with Stonebridge and regretting the decision with each passing day.........
Original post by naylorld
So glad I found this thread and realised I'm not the only person hitting their head against a brick wall with it. Out of interest, who are you doing your access course with? I'm with Stonebridge and regretting the decision with each passing day.........

Hey I’m with dimension training solutions, the sister company and I feel the same. I’m stuck on assignment 2 question 4. How do they expect you to evaluate with the study material they have provided

Latest