Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it worth to get mechanical keyboard? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just want to ask you simple question that is it worth to get a mechanical keyboard probably like cosair k95 platnium rgb mechnical keyboard. (Brown Switches).

I will be using it for typing but dont really think for gaming but defo typing like coz I will be doing my uni and college stuff. So is it worth it or should i just get normal keybaord.

How long will this keyboard last me with its rgb lighting . Thanks

ReputationRep:
    jebus christmas babe no it is not worth it.
    dropping ~£200 on a keyboard isn't worth it unless you're freaking pewdiepie, and if you're not even using it for gaming then there's absolutely no point.
    trust me mate, you're going to be broke af at uni and you'd be sitting at your desk regretting buying a £200 keyboard when you could have used that money for food and/or nightclubs. I'm currently regretting buying a £50 PRINTER.
    look on ebay for a led keyboard of nothing above 20-25 quid. it's budget, but it'll last you just as long and the light up keys are invaluable at 3am. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sumvision-...26.m2548.l4275
    hope you make the right choice boo.
    p.t.

ReputationRep:
    If you're as broke as the person above, then yeah, spending £180+ on a keyboard is a bit excessive. I think he also focuses too much on the RGB aspect rather than the fact that it's mechanical.

I actually have the K95 and am using it now. I've been through a ton of gaming keyboards and definitely a mechanical keyboard feels a lot nicer and is much faster to type with.
    As for the K95 it's good quality and the software works great and is very easy to use. No problems in over a year of use.
    The programmable lightup keys are more of a gimmick and gets old fast. Better off with a illuminated keyboard that simply stays on one colour. Is it worth its RRP? Probably not.
    If you're looking for a premium keyboard without the premium price I would highly recommend the Logitech G710+ instead. It was at one point Logitech's flagship keyboard and is now attainable for sub £80 if you look hard enough.
    If you haven't used a mechanical keyboard before you'll need to find a shop where you can test some out, which colour switches you prefer is a highly personal thing and each is quite different, especially regarding noise and tactileness.
    If you're at Uni and aren't into gaming and don't have much money, I'd suggest getting a cheap mechanical keyboard at best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NX172)
    If you're as broke as the person above, then yeah, spending £180+ on a keyboard is a bit excessive. I think he also focuses too much on the RGB aspect rather than the fact that it's mechanical.

I actually have the K95 and am using it now. I've been through a ton of gaming keyboards and definitely a mechanical keyboard feels a lot nicer and is much faster to type with.
    As for the K95 it's good quality and the software works great and is very easy to use. No problems in over a year of use.
    The programmable lightup keys are more of a gimmick and gets old fast. Better off with a illuminated keyboard that simply stays on one colour. Is it worth its RRP? Probably not.
    If you're looking for a premium keyboard without the premium price I would highly recommend the Logitech G710+ instead. It was at one point Logitech's flagship keyboard and is now attainable for sub £80 if you look hard enough.
    If you haven't used a mechanical keyboard before you'll need to find a shop where you can test some out, which colour switches you prefer is a highly personal thing and each is quite different, especially regarding noise and tactileness.
    If you're at Uni and aren't into gaming and don't have much money, I'd suggest getting a cheap mechanical keyboard at best.
    Thanks for replying but yeah forget about the money coz i aint broke so yh i just wanted to ask you like generally is it good to have it or should i just get a normal £10 keyboard. Like how long will it last me and wat about the rgb lights as they are one of my reasons to get it and another reason is that i never had a mechanical keyboard. So is it worth the money. I dont think i will be playing games anymore but might like dont know coz i will get an ASUS ultra book and they are not gaming laptops. So yeah again appreciate your time the fact that you replied back. God Bless

ReputationRep:
    You can find cheap mechanical keyboards on Amazon for £20 - £30. Personally, I'd spend a max of £50 on a keyboard.

Over a membrane keyboard, they'll last much longer which arguably means you'll invest less in a keyboard.

ReputationRep:
    I by far and away prefer Mechanical Keyboards, but I certainly wouldn't spend that much.
    I bought one new (a rapoo vpro 800 -- its ok) and 2 second hand .. one cherry board from a junk shop for 2 quid ... and the other was about 20 quid or so.
    Of them all, the cherry board is the nicest.

I would certainly buy a fairly cheap mechanical over a cheap membrane ... something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mechanical-...nical+keyboard or this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Backlit-Mec...nical+keyboard

ReputationRep:
    I use a mixture of Corsair mechanical KBs and Razer chiclet KBs. I personally only use mechanical KBs for LANs and stuff so I am not the only person using low profile chiclet keys haha.

I have K70 and a Deathstalker and I prefer the later. It is all down to preference.

> muh RGB keyboard

:facepalm:

I really, really don't understand why mechanical keyboards are so hyped up

There is a reason people so quickly switched to the modern, low-profile keyboards.

> i aint broke

> God Bless

Are you an American trying to sound British?

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2017
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.