Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

SFE: offering lower than last year and telling me it's the maximum I can apply for? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have had some trouble with SFE lately where I've suddenly had my parents' financial info requested (despite not being on my To-Do-List beforehand), after which I had sent it to the wrong PO BOX, so then had to wait for them to forward it over (which apparently would take a week or so) before it could be processed (which would then take several weeks).

But I was told it would be the end of October before I hear back from them, however I've now got a letter telling me my application has been approved and that I'm going to be recieving £3214 (or something like that) for the entire year.

Last year I was recieving about £6800, having about £2200 going in every term and then a bit more in the third term.

First, that's nowhere near enough to survive. I know most people find jobs as well and that's what I have done, but I had to make do with a voluntary position because I can't find a paid job.

Second, why is it so much less? Has student finance been slashed this year? I checked online and it says £3214 is the maximum, but if I provide my parents' financial info, I might be entitled to more. I know student finance is usually a lot less in the last year, but I've actually had to retake the previous year so I'm doing the same Level 4 course again. Is that why I'm not recieving as much?

Finally, I wonder if they've even got my parents' financial info yet. It wouldn't surprise me if they've just approved it before the financial info has been sent to the right department, and if I rang up again I would bet they probably lost it and would ask me to fill out a new form and send it in - meaning that I would have to wait several more weeks before I'm paid.

I know the only way I get answers is if I ring them tomorrow, but until then, can anyone offer any insight as to why the maximum I can borrow is so low?

ReputationRep:
    They always tell students they get the minimum before they income assess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you haven’t finished being assessed, then I wouldn’t worry. They tend to tell people they have minimum, before they have been assessed or finished being assessed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.