Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for maths and currently have predictions of 3A*s and 1A (chem) (perhaps a little harsh, I got top third in the year at chemistry and my target is a*) doing the a2 subjects chem physics maths and fm. I have a feeling my reference is pretty flattering in some respects. my maths ums scores are average to good with some problems - 98 fp1, 94 s1, 93 m1&c2, 87 c1 and 85 c3 (why oh why) and 82 d1.
    My personal statement shows a lot of independent self directed study and reading and hopefully passion for maths. But it is lacking in actually valuable extra-curricular activities. They are 'super-curricular' but kind of lame. I'm not all that articulate but I hope don't sound too bad in it. lastly my GCSE grades are 8A*s 3As (2 in english subjects and one in geography) and a C in economics (will haunt me forever) missed A* in eng lit by 1 ums.

Anyway i'm not sure whether i should replace bristol with durham as a choice, though it would be awesome if i could get into durham - i don't want to risk it. my other options are bath, warwick, nottingham and cambridge (yes, cambridge.. i hope to do really well in the interview if i get one). honestly should i get an offer from bath i'd reject bristol but bath is less competitive for offers than bristol (or so i've read). Should i get durham i may reject bath and even warwick.

So the only factor really stopping me from applying to durham is the competition. Do you think I should hedge my bets?

ReputationRep:
    Warwick > Durham but yeah, an offer is realistic with your predictions.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You wont know until you try 🌞
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Extracurricular activities are one of the least important things for Maths. I mean, they're pretty unimportant for most subjects, but for Maths in particular they really don't care and will be much more interested in your performance in the subject so far and your predicted performance in your final exams.

I'm confused about why you've mentioned Bath and Bristol. I thought you were only applying to Bath, of the two, so far? In any case, Durham is a perfectly fine choice and you have as good a chance as any other candidate of getting an offer - whether you would be willing to live and study there, only you can tell

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    Obviously you’re fine, this is just an ego boost for you, isn’t it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryndvdmddn)
    Obviously you’re fine, this is just an ego boost for you, isn’t it?
    No it really isn't. I've been waiting over 10 days and still no offers. Even though I really think the course content at durham suits my interests far better, my final choice was nottingham instead durham for maths which I would change should i get an offer from my other choices within 14 days.

granted, the justifications over some of my grades does seem kind of egotistical. it was just me being salty

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.