Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not enough characters in personal statement, what should take priority? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have about 700 characters for my extra curricular activities and the rest is subject related. I know oxbridge want you to write less about extra curricular(about 20/25%), but I am not applying for oxbridge. Should I sacrifice some of my subject related section as I have been told to aim for around 1000 characters on extra curricular, but I cant't decide if I should do this as surely your personal statement should be more about the subject?

I am applying for law if this makes any difference

ReputationRep:
    Lie 100% works

ReputationRep:
    Unless you spend your spare time figuring out cold fusion, and you're applying to a physics degree, there is very little room for extracurriculars in your PS.

Your focus should be on your academics, which can definitely include academic extracurricular exercises. If you spend your time outside of the classroom researching the Insurance Act 2015, and its sister the Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012, that is still "academic" in nature. You absolutely can fill your CV up with stuff like that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.