Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you have a will? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here on TSR have a will? Do you have a legal document that says who's getting what after you die, as well as who's going to carry out your wishes (your executor)?

Obviously this question is aimed at those who are 18 or over as you have to be at least 18 years of age to have a will made.

This question popped into my head not long after I recently remembered that the long-term health condition that I've had for many years includes the risk of sudden death.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FantasticMsFox)
    Does anyone here on TSR have a will? Do you have a legal document that says who's getting what after you die, as well as who's going to carry out your wishes (your executor)?

Obviously this question is aimed at those who are 18 or over as you have to be at least 18 years of age to have a will made.

This question popped into my head not long after I recently remembered that the long-term health condition that I've had for many years includes the risk of sudden death.
    Nope, it's a bit early for me to be thinking about that right now.

How old are you just out of interest?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    No but now that I'm married, it's something I may look into in a few years as you never know what's round the corner. Not that I have much to leave people anyway though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    whos Will

😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Nope, it's a bit early for me to be thinking about that right now.

How old are you just out of interest?
    I thought I'd ask because we never know when we're going to die and not everyone wants the law to decide what happens to their assets after they die.

My age is between 18 and 21.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    My credit card debt can go to my dad and my overdraft to my sister.

ReputationRep:
    I own nothing and have a little less than £50 to my name lol My family know my PIN number so they could just take it. But i would definitely get one later in life if I ever actually own any assets
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I have a pension but not a will. I don't want to be thinking about a will just yet!

ReputationRep:
    i have a way...

ReputationRep:
    Bump...

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Made one when I was in the army, before I went to Iraq. It's easy enough (and free!) for anyone to do.

ReputationRep:
    I remember when I was 18/19 and waiting in the queue at the Post Office, one of the staff came up to me and asked me whether I had thought of setting up a will. I thought he was kidding at first (you don't often hear uni students planning their wills) but he wasn't. He started to tell me that if something happened to me, what would happen to my family? Then he started to run through prices. I told him it is something I would look into in the future.

At the moment, I have no plans to make a will. It isn't really something I have spent time thinking about. Maybe when I have started a family and am financially secure, I may think about it, but not now.

I guess it would depend on your life circumstances and assets if you were to make a will. There is no set age to make a will, so if it something you feel you should do, then do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureUoBstudent)
    I own nothing and have a little less than £50 to my name lol My family know my PIN number so they could just take it. But i would definitely get one later in life if I ever actually own any assets
    Hahaha not how it works...

I don't need one, all I have was given to me by my parents and since I'm not married and have no siblings/children, I suppose the law says it all goes (back) to them.

ReputationRep:
    I've not got anything that exciting to leave so there's not a lot of point.

ReputationRep:
    Nah. It'd be passed on to my immediate family anyway and they're not materialistic people, I trust that they'd have no problems over who gets what.

ReputationRep:
    Not a single document but i have pensions, DIS benefit and Life insurances which all specify how I would like the money split.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Yep. Made one when I was in the army, before I went to Iraq. It's easy enough (and free!) for anyone to do.
    It's free? Really? I was under the impression that it would cost at least £100 to get a solicitor to make a will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    I remember when I was 18/19 and waiting in the queue at the Post Office, one of the staff came up to me and asked me whether I had thought of setting up a will. I thought he was kidding at first (you don't often hear uni students planning their wills) but he wasn't. He started to tell me that if something happened to me, what would happen to my family? Then he started to run through prices. I told him it is something I would look into in the future.

At the moment, I have no plans to make a will. It isn't really something I have spent time thinking about. Maybe when I have started a family and am financially secure, I may think about it, but not now.

I guess it would depend on your life circumstances and assets if you were to make a will. There is no set age to make a will, so if it something you feel you should do, then do it.
    Yes, I suppose those who are terminally ill and have some assets are more likely to have a will than those who are healthy and don't have much in assets.

I have a long-term health condition and the risk of sudden death is a real possibility. Additionally, I have some assets that I would want my family members (immediate and extended) and a couple of charities to have in the event that I die before my parents or older siblings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    I've not got anything that exciting to leave so there's not a lot of point.
    Surely you must have something useful and/or interesting to leave to your family or friends (or even a charity). Any jewellery? Any cherished collections such as teddy bears, DVDs or electronic games (PS3/Nintendo/XBOX)?

ReputationRep:
    yes. i need to update it so there are no squabbles about my gems.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.