Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you have a will? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allie4)
    i have a way...
    dammit you beat me to it

ReputationRep:
    Nope no will

If I die and don't have one i'm not too bothered about where my stuff will go at this moment in time..
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Just got married last weekend so we re sorting our will and power of attornies out in the next few months, my husband is the beneficiary of my life insurance already and that gives him more than enough for a while and being married let's him access the entire balance of our joint account quickly. (My dad died in his 30s without one and it took nearly 6 months to get his private pension and fortunately a relative paid for his funeral as we had nothing to pay with ourselves so although I m 22 and we haven't got a house yet I would never leave my family in that situation, you just never know).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Just got married last weekend so we re sorting our will and power of attornies out in the next few months, my husband is the beneficiary of my life insurance already and that gives him more than enough for a while and being married let's him access the entire balance of our joint account quickly. (My dad died in his 30s without one and it took nearly 6 months to get his private pension and fortunately a relative paid for his funeral as we had nothing to pay with ourselves so although I m 22 and we haven't got a house yet I would never leave my family in that situation, you just never know).
    Congratulations on getting married! I wish you and your husband a life-long marriage full of love and happiness!

It's good that you and your husband are sorting out your will. If I don't get one made within the next couple of years, I'll definitely get a will made when I get married (a good few years away, most likely).

I'm sorry to hear about your dad.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FantasticMsFox)
    Congratulations on getting married! I wish you and your husband a life-long marriage full of love and happiness!

It's good that you and your husband are sorting out your will. If I don't get one made within the next couple of years, I'll definitely get a will made when I get married (a good few years away, most likely).

I'm sorry to hear about your dad.
    Thank you it's been many years since he passed but the stress of my family going through that so young, has made me want to make sure everything is prepared for the worst so it makes a little less painful for my loved ones, hence the power of attorney too so if one of us gets ill we can be sure that our wishes are met.
    Once you are married it does make things a lot easier if you do die without a will , partners have no rights where as a spouse gets your possessions and assets without a will but it is a good idea to have one anyway incase you both die so it goes to other people who you want it to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FantasticMsFox)
    Surely you must have something useful and/or interesting to leave to your family or friends (or even a charity). Any jewellery? Any cherished collections such as teddy bears, DVDs or electronic games (PS3/Nintendo/XBOX)?
    My gaming stuff is wasted on my family cause they've all either already got all that sort of stuff or just don't game at all. I've got nothing else expensive bar my laptop, which nobody is allowed because stuff on it will shatter the fam's image of me and ruin the funeral for them.

ReputationRep:
    Not yet but i plan on making one.

i don't really have anything to lose atm.

if i get anything worth losing i'll hand it over earlier so it doesn't get taxed.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    re sorting our will and power of attornies out in the next few months,
    Good idea, but PoA can wait surely?

By the way, getting married automatically revokes any pre-existing wills.

ReputationRep:
    Just got married last weekend
    Congratulations on both the wedding and making SL. Well deserved on both accounts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Source?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Source?
    https://www.netlawman.co.uk/ia/will-...rriage-divorce

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/e...ates-will.html

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/health-wellb...re-remarrying/

Gov UK: https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...ging-your-will

ReputationRep:
    I'll make one as soon as I turn eighteen, but that's because I've been close to dying more times than I can count. If it makes you feel more comfortable, do it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanking you, was not aware of this.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Good idea, but PoA can wait surely?

No existing wills, husband agreed we d do it after we got married so since I was 18 when we met I hadn't made one at that point.
    He works in a company that offers many retirement services so we can get their POA service a lot cheaper so might as well take advantage of it.
    And I suppose it's very morbid but none of my relatives got much choice in their deaths, I want someone I trust to have as much power as possible so that my wishes get followed if I become seriously ill.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Congratulations on both the wedding and making SL. Well deserved on both accounts
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Not going to get a will. Not going to get married so no need for one.

Parents will get everything anyway being my closest relatives.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I have a pension but not a will. I don't want to be thinking about a will just yet!
    I was thinking about this recently as I've got a significant amount of money in there (well for someone my age anyway) and I wouldn't want that money not to get passed on if anything were to happen to me.

It just feels really strange to be thinking about retirement & death when i'm barely out of university!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Thanking you, was not aware of this.
    I remember when my dad remarried some years ago he signed a new will at the same time as signing the marriage register.

ReputationRep:
    Yes sir , i have a will. It states that in the unfortunate case of me dying , my play station 4 will go to my sausage dog named bruno.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I was thinking about this recently as I've got a significant amount of money in there (well for someone my age anyway) and I wouldn't want that money not to get passed on if anything were to happen to me.

It just feels really strange to be thinking about retirement & death when i'm barely out of university!
    did you not have to specify your nominations when originally setting up the pension?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.