Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Boyfriend makes weird remarks Watch

I've also come to learn recently that he is a racist and homophobic due to comments he has made. He is a very controlling, jealous and possessive guy and for the past year hasn't allowed me to have any male friends. He's made me cut contact with them or he flies into some rage.

As I was talking about my day and university, I told him I was working on a project with a guy, and we're studying together. His immediate response 'it's okay, I know you wouldn't do anything bad'. I don't understand? I wasn't asking for his approval, or implying I'd do anything 'bad' I was simply telling him about what I was up to. Similarly, once I told him some guy was flirting with me on FB, his response 'it's okay, I believe you don't worry'. I wasn't asking whether he believed me or not, I was simply informing him?

Why does he keep assuming I'm asking for his approval when I'm telling him things instead?

ReputationRep:
    That's a lot of red flags, break up

ReputationRep:
    Surely if you're smart enough to attend university you're also smart enough to realise this guy is bad news? Dump him, now.

ReputationRep:
    Dump him right away.

(Original post by Seungy_Han)
    That's a lot of red flags, break up
    I think I'm going to have to. We've been together for a year, so I suppose now he's at that comfortable stage where he can let his true colours show. I was telling him about my new uni friends the other day. He immediately said there better not be any men, and then asked what their religious beliefs were (different to ours). He then said 'well you shouldn't really be mixing with people like that, look it goes against our religious teachings, just dump them after uni ends'. I was so angry at that comment, we ended up arguing all day and it made me want to leave him.

(Original post by Ezisola)
    Surely if you're smart enough to attend university you're also smart enough to realise this guy is bad news? Dump him, now.
    He really is bad news. It's just he wasn't like this at first, it's been a slow transition. I just can't understand his mindset when he says things like 'don't worry, I believe you' when I tell him things.. like I'm not asking to check whether he believes me or not, I'm telling him things as they are. It doesn't make any sense.

ReputationRep:
    Get rid of him.

ReputationRep:
    ditch him asap!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Do the right thing and end things.

If you've already talked to him about his behaviour and he hasn't changed then dump him.

He's obviously very insecure and feels like you need to constantly reassure him of things.. by telling himself he's probably just trying to protect himself. Have you spoken to him about this? If he's completely unresponsive - it's a pretty big red flag.

ReputationRep:
      Why are you with him? lol

He needs to be dumped so he can learn to be less of a c*nt before his next relationship.

(Original post by Multifaceted)
      He's obviously very insecure and feels like you need to constantly reassure him of things.. by telling himself he's probably just trying to protect himself. Have you spoken to him about this? If he's completely unresponsive - it's a pretty big red flag.
      about the insecurity thing, back when I actually had Facebook, I'd get guys hitting on me on private chat, and he told me to just let him know if any guy does that, so I did. He wouldn't even care what the guys name was, or what he even said to me, he'd just immediately say 'show me a photo of him'. Now I think that was to compare his own appearance to theirs which I think is so odd? I'm not sure why he thinks I'm going to cheat at every opportunity, I've given him no reason to even think that,

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 9, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.