Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My daughter has finished her first year at Nottingham Trent University, where she spent a year in student halls. UPP manage the Student Halls at the Clifton site which is where she was staying. Most of the UPP staff there were unhelpful to the point of being almost rude. When she moved in we were given a list of things in the room, which she was expected to comment upon and return. When she moved into the halls her room had marks on the carpet and the mattress was covered with a mattress protector, which we didn't think to take off and inspect. My issue is; my daughter has been charged for a replacement mattress and the cleaning of the carpet at £40 (which is extortionate for the area cleaned). I have asked UPP to supply me with information on the age of the mattress and a receipt for the replacement of the item, which they won't do. I am looking for other people who may have been scammed in the same way as I am pretty sure that the mattress was not pristine and that the previous tennant was also charged for the replacement. This is in effect surely obtaining money falsley as the mattress has not been replaced, and whilst it may be common practice its a scam.

In all other aspects of student life my daughter has been very happy at NTU. It's a shame that UPP are letting the university down.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by enajyram)
    My daughter has finished her first year at Nottingham Trent University, where she spent a year in student halls. UPP manage the Student Halls at the Clifton site which is where she was staying. Most of the UPP staff there were unhelpful to the point of being almost rude. When she moved in we were given a list of things in the room, which she was expected to comment upon and return. When she moved into the halls her room had marks on the carpet and the mattress was covered with a mattress protector, which we didn't think to take off and inspect. My issue is; my daughter has been charged for a replacement mattress and the cleaning of the carpet at £40 (which is extortionate for the area cleaned). I have asked UPP to supply me with information on the age of the mattress and a receipt for the replacement of the item, which they won't do. I am looking for other people who may have been scammed in the same way as I am pretty sure that the mattress was not pristine and that the previous tennant was also charged for the replacement. This is in effect surely obtaining money falsley as the mattress has not been replaced, and whilst it may be common practice its a scam.

In all other aspects of student life my daughter has been very happy at NTU. It's a shame that UPP are letting the university down.

You could go and speak to CAB or your daughter could speak to a student advisor.

You could also make a formal complaint to their complaints procedure.

I would warn you that it was your daughters responsibility to check beforehand and she should have taken photos with dates on them. By not raising it immediately(if it was pre existing) then that was an indication that everything was ok.

As for the cost, then that is covered by the terms of the licence agreement she consented to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.