Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Christian anti-abortion group refused service in a coffee shop with a gay owner Watch

• View Poll Results: What do you think?
    This is good apply it with everyone equally
    36.11%
    This is good but it’s different when it is against another group
    2.78%
    No one should have the right to refuse service for anything in the equality act
    61.11%

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think business owners should have the right not to serve anyone for any reason but the law must apply equally to everyone.

If you are going to say it’s different I have 2 questions:
    1. How?
    2. If it was a Muslim would you think differently?

If you think business owners should be forced to serve people I have 1:
    1. Why do people have the rights to an individuals labour if the labourer says no?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...e-coffee-sho/#!

ReputationRep:
    absolutely disgraceful. people are people. they have every right to express their views, personal opinions shouldn't get in the way of professionalism. that said, I understand why they were refused, but I don't agree with it.

ReputationRep:
    A private business should have the legal right to choose to offer or refuse its service to any individual or group.

In this case, this coffee shop should have the right to choose to refuse its service to this anti-abortion group.

Likewise, however, a Christian bakery should have the right to choose to refuse its service to a same-sex wedding. But I expect that many hypocritical 'liberals' will not be so consistent here.

Also, I've never understood why anyone would want to force a business to accept one's money. If a private business refused its service to me, for whatever discriminatory reason, the last thing that I would want to do would be to give my money to that business.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    As much as I detest with the anti-abortion rights movement and the regressive forms of religion it accompanies, businesses open to the public shouldn't be allowed to deny them the services they provide based solely on that stance. The obvious parallel is the numerous stories of Christian bakeries refusing to make cakes for same sex weddings that have cropped up over the last few years, which I wholeheartedly sided with the couples on too.

ReputationRep:
    While business owners should not be allowed to refuse service on the grounds of race, gender, disability, sexuality, etc, they should be allowed to refuse on the grounds of behaviour, dress, ideology, etc.

Quite simple really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    While business owners should not be allowed to refuse service on the grounds of race, gender, disability, sexuality, etc, they should be allowed to refuse on the grounds of behaviour, dress, ideology, etc.

Quite simple really.
    It sounds like they had been distributing anti-abortion campaign material in this guy's shop. I don't know how that stands in US laws, but anti-abortionist isn't a protected characteristic under the equalities act here and he be well within his rights to tell them to piss off.

ReputationRep:
    Bit like not serving someone with a KKK costume tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the problem. Belonging to an anti-abortion group is not a protected characteristic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)

Quite simple really.
    Ideology? That seems like a really arbitrary criterion.

Do you think that a member of the Labour party, for example, should be allowed to refuse his/her service to a Tory, becuase of their ideologocial differences?

Or can a Christian refuse his/her service to a Muslim, because of their ideological differences?

Furthermore, what about the Christian bakery refusing to bake a cake for a same-sex wedding; is that refusal based on sexuality (refusing because of the sexuality of the client) or ideology (refusing because of an ideological opposition to same-sex marriage)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djbigone)
    Right lets get one thing straight cos play is perfectly acceptable in 2017, i've seen Men dressed as women, Women dressed as men. therefore dressing up as a ghost with a pointy hat is perfectly acceptable. (forget about their beliefs as they're only a figure of ones imagination), communism is what i think is correct. As if it was in full swing this thread wouldn't exist as anyone could be served in a coffee shop as everyone is equal. peace out nerds 3========) ------------
    wtf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thaladan)

Do you think that a member of the Labour party, for example, should be allowed to refuse his/her service to a Tory, becuase of their ideologocial differences?

Or can a Christian refuse his/her service to a Muslim, because of their ideological differences?

Furthermore, what about the Christian bakery refusing to bake a cake for a same-sex wedding; is that refusal based on sexuality (refusing because of the sexuality of the client) or ideology (refusing because of an ideological opposition to same-sex marriage)?
    Its not arbitrary.You can choose your ideaology or religion.You can't choose your race or sexuality or gender.

ReputationRep:
    I think thats against the law in UK.

A private business should have the legal right to choose to offer or refuse its service to any individual or group.

In this case, this coffee shop should have the right to choose to refuse its service to this anti-abortion group.

Likewise, however, a Christian bakery should have the right to choose to refuse its service to a same-sex wedding. But I expect that many hypocritical 'liberals' will not be so consistent here.

Also, I've never understood why anyone would want to force a business to accept one's money. If a private business refused its service to me, for whatever discriminatory reason, the last thing that I would want to do would be to give my money to that business.
      They do - or at least they do in the UK, I'm not sure where this is about though. Businesses of any size can refuse to serve a customer for any (or no) reason at all.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tootles)
      They do - or at least they do in the UK, I'm not sure where this is about though. Businesses of any size can refuse to serve a customer for any (or no) reason at all.
      They do not

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-37748681

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25119158

ReputationRep:
      is that refusal based on sexuality (refusing because of the sexuality of the client) or ideology (refusing because of an ideological opposition to same-sex marriage)?
      The case was in Northern Ireland, the only part of the UK where political beliefs are a protected characteristic, and the putative cake buyers sought to buy a cake with a political message supporting same-sex marriage (which is not available in NI).

The cake shop lost for discriminating on political grounds, which is illegal (but only in NI), not for refusing on the grounds of the sexual orientation of the customer.

The buyers would have lost if the case had been in England.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by joecphillips)
      Personally I think business owners should have the right not to serve anyone for any reason but the law must apply equally to everyone.
      I agree entirely. If they don't want the business that's their call. If they decide not to deal with someone for a stupid reason that's their loss and their prerogative.

(Original post by Quantex)
      I don't see the problem. Belonging to an anti-abortion group is not a protected characteristic.
      Clearly it's part of their religion.

ReputationRep:
      Not really. An ideology is a pretty well defined concept.

Yes.

Yes. (However, current legidlation does not allow this for some reason.)

Depends why they are refusing service. Sexuality, bad; ideology, fine.

ReputationRep:
      Horrendous. Nobody should be forcing their beliefs on anybody.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by QE2)
      Not really. An ideology is a pretty well defined concept.

Yes.

Yes. (However, current legidlation does not allow this for some reason.)

Depends why they are refusing service. Sexuality, bad; ideology, fine.
      So should the Christian bakery in Ireland have been forced to make a gay wedding cake? Since they don't agree with the 'idea' of gay marriage
      I mean the shop owner here is refusing to serve the Christian anti-abortion campaigners because they don't agree with the idea of the anti-abortion movement.

ReputationRep:
      In my view a business should always be allowed to refuse any customer or group of customers, without having to give a reason. It's their business, they shouldn't be forced to serve a customer if they do not want to. Obviously then others can choose whether they want to deal with such a business depending on their values.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.