Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Universities urged to ban 'essay mills' Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you ever paid for a piece of work?
    Yes
    6.55%
    No, but I would consider doing it
    18.18%
    No
    75.27%

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    Stories in the news today on the BBC and Guardian are showing that universities are clamping down on cheat companies which, for a fee, will write essays for students to pass off as their own.

Universities say essay cheating is unacceptable. What do you think?

Have you ever paid for an essay? And if so, what caused you to do so?

ReputationRep:
    I had a friend who payed over £100 for an essay (due next day) and she still failed it... Not worth it
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's unacceptable, people are handing in work that isn't their own. If people are incapable of doing their own work, then they shouldn't be at university.

ReputationRep:
    No but it's more because i'm a skinflint as opposed to any moral objection...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discobish)
    Stories in the news todayon the BBC and Guardian are showing that universities are clamping down on cheat companies which, for a fee, will write essays for students to pass off as their own.

Universities say essay cheating is unacceptable. What do you think?

Have you ever paid for an essay? And if so, what caused you to do so?
    It's not the companies that are the problem, the majority of the time it is freelancers (i.e., grad students) charging undergraduates for essay assignments. They can make a killing, I've seen it with my own eyes.

Hardly anyone uses those dodgy websites called "uniessays.com".

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I can't say I'm against it, honestly I would be tempted to use it

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they should scrap essays?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessie162)
    I had a friend who payed over £100 for an essay (due next day) and she still failed it... Not worth it
    That's bad luck! Did she read the essay before submitting? Was it awful, or did she fail for plagiarism?

ReputationRep:
    I think a large percentage of students would pay if they could afford it and there was no chance of being caught.

ReputationRep:
    This is only a problem for humanities courses...heck you could graduate not having attended any lectures for them degrees. If your doing STEM subjects there are hardly any essays.

ReputationRep:
    I charged students too proof reed there assignments and cheque four any grammer issues, for sum brazzer reason they were not happy with the service.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    All students should sign a legally binding international declaration that they have read and understood the rules governing plagiarism and cheating - including essay and coursework assignments that go towards a final award.

The penalty, when caught, should be that they are immediately expelled, barred from entering higher education for a period of 5 years and their details should go on an international register which can be checked by employers and licenced education establishments prior to hiring.

ReputationRep:
    i thought this meant like comissions from an artist :laugh::laugh:

ReputationRep:
    no we live in a capitalist society... money talks... the more money you have, the more opportunities you have...welcome to the real world....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    All students should sign a legally binding international declaration that they have read and understood the rules governing plagiarism and cheating - including essay and coursework assignments that go towards a final award.

The penalty, when caught, should be that they are immediately expelled, barred from entering higher education for a period of 5 years and their details should go on an international register which can be checked by employers and licenced education establishments prior to hiring.
    My university makes us sign an Academic Integrity Declaration on all pieces of assessed work

ReputationRep:
    I'm down for scrapping essay-based assessments entirely and replacing it with something more appropriate for the course, theory tests, practical tests. Some assignments I've had, I have literally ended up screaming "Why?!?!"

And yeah, of course paying someone off to write your assignments for you is completely unacceptable for obvious reasons, but more so that the people often writing your assignments have no familiarity whatsoever with your assessors marking scheme, nor the presentation they like. Some assignments you'd have better chance getting the worst undergrad students write for your assignments for you. About the only time you'd be getting good quality to cost is when you aren't tied down to a marking scheme or constraints, but where you effectively create your own scheme and constraints. Dissertation/FYP (By which point your supervisor will already know).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessie162)
    To be honest, that is what I am more offended by. That sub-par graduates are charging people a lot of money for mediocre assignments.

Of course, people should not be cheating and this definitely is cheating, but at the same time these freelancers should stop being robbing *******s.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares

You don't have to worry about getting a First if you put in the work yourself

(the clever way to use essay mills is to take the essay and re-arrange the arguments along with some of your own (new) ideas, but a lot of idiots apparently submit the essay as they bought it)

ReputationRep:
    I've paid for someone else's notes on a module - best £15 I ever spent. helped me go from a possible fail in that module to a first in final year.

i'd never pay for someone to do my essay though. if i was absolutely desperate, i might have bought an essay and reworked it or just taken the ideas from it, but i would not risk a fail in a module by handing it in as it was.

in the wider scheme - a few hundred pounds for an essay when you're potentially graduating with a student debt of £50k is a drop in the ocean. it is already against the rules anyway.

they should make you do the essay under exam conditions to stop this, and adjust the mark scheme accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Who cares

You don't have to worry about getting a First if you put in the work yourself

(the clever way to use essay mills is to take the essay and re-arrange the arguments along with some of your own (new) ideas, but a lot of idiots apparently submit the essay as they bought it)
    To be honest, I have seen people in open-note exams copy literally word-for-word sample answers from a Q&A.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.