Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    1.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
    8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory
    256GB SSD storage
    Intel HD Graphics 615
    Backlit Keyboard - British
    £1,339.00
    Or,
    2.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
    128GB SSD storage
    Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
    Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
    £1,249.00
    ????
    Idk but I think the cheapest one seems better just slightly less storage but it’s only for school work. I’m in year 12 and will hope to use it all through uni. I can get the bottom one for pretty much £1k
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    you can get a windows laptop with better specs for cheaper. unless you hate windows u shud go for windows laptop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipMcKenna)
    you can get a windows laptop with better specs for cheaper. unless you hate windows u shud go for windows laptop
    No thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reece.W.J)
    1.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
    256GB SSD storage
    Intel HD Graphics 615
    £1,339.00
    Or,
    2.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    128GB SSD storage
    Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
    £1,249.00
    ????
    Idk but I think the cheapest one seems better just slightly less storage but it’s only for school work. I’m in year 12 and will hope to use it all through uni. I can get the bottom one for pretty much £1k
    Windows will help you run most software and will be very compatable with other pc in your institution but it depends if you want mac or windows but the second one is cheaper and slightly better but a quad core option wouldve been great

ReputationRep:
    apple fanboy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipMcKenna)
    apple fanboy?
    Yh

ReputationRep:
    Yh
    alrighty

ReputationRep:
    Use Unidays for discount

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanCrane10)
    Use Unidays for discount
    I’m in year 12

Ridiculous waste of money. You can buy a windows laptop for £800 with specs 10x better than an Apple Mac.

ReputationRep:
      256GB SSD storage
      Intel HD Graphics 615
      £1,339.00
      Or,
      128GB SSD storage
      Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
      £1,249.00
      ????
      128GB SSD storage
      Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
      £1,249.00

This one is most probably the better one for the price. You can get this + https://goo.gl/3wiJCq which is a SanDisk 128 GB USB stick. Password protected and a 5 year guarantee also its USB 3.0 meaning it'd transfer files faster than USB 2.0 (unless your computer's ports are USB 2.0, then it'd transfer at the rate of a 2.0) You'll have a better processor, same storage, better memory, better graphics. You could probably get a better laptop for cheaper but from these 2 it has to be the 2nd one + a USB stick.

edit: also since you can apparently get the bottom one for 1k then you'd save £300. so yea, much better getting the 2nd one.
      Also you can get even cheaper 128GB USB drives, so yea, if you only want one of these 2 then it'd be the bottom one + a cheap 128GB usb.

ReputationRep:
      I’m in year 12
      So am I. it should apply just follow the instructions. worked for me

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Relentas)
      128GB SSD storage
      Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
      £1,249.00

This one is most probably the better one for the price. You can get this + https://goo.gl/3wiJCq which is a SanDisk 128 GB USB stick. Password protected and a 5 year guarantee also its USB 3.0 meaning it'd transfer files faster than USB 2.0 (unless your computer's ports are USB 2.0, then it'd transfer at the rate of a 2.0) You'll have a better processor, same storage, better memory, better graphics. You could probably get a better laptop for cheaper but from these 2 it has to be the 2nd one + a USB stick.

edit: also since you can apparently get the bottom one for 1k then you'd save £300. so yea, much better getting the 2nd one.
      Yeah I got family a family member with John Lewis discount. The problem is it doesn’t have usb slots

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by DanCrane10)
      So am I. it should apply just follow the instructions. worked for me
      Ok I’ll give it a go but where or how does it work and how much is it? I will have to purchase from JL for discount

ReputationRep:
      Ok I’ll give it a go but where or how does it work and how much is it? I will have to purchase from JL for discount
      https://goo.gl/XgBdbP buy that then :P gives you 4 extra ports, all USB. Well worth it still.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Relentas)
      https://goo.gl/XgBdbP buy that then :P gives you 4 extra ports, all USB. Well worth it still.
      Ok ty
      • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
      The baseline Retina MacBook Pro is the default answer for "what MacBook should I get?" questions, if you don't have a particular use case then it's the best balance of performance, portability and price of Apple's current offerings. If you need more storage buy an external HDD for your documents and media libraries and save the internal storage for applications and key files.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Gofre)
      The baseline Retina MacBook Pro is the default answer for "what MacBook should I get?" questions, if you don't have a particular use case then it's the best balance of performance, portability and price of Apple's current offerings. If you need more storage buy an external HDD for your documents and media libraries and save the internal storage for applications and key files.
      I’m going to use it for general school work. Tabs open, research, and word

ReputationRep:
      I’m going to use it for general school work. Tabs open, research, and word
      Why a macbook for that? You can get decent enough laptops for around a quarter of the price that would do just fine.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by _gcx)
      Why a macbook for that? You can get decent enough laptops for around a quarter of the price that would do just fine.
      I just like them

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.