The Student Room Group

Choosing a fifth choice

I have my top 4 choices for uni, but I'm struggling in deciding a fourth. I already have Lancaster, Exeter, Bristol and Durham, all for physics related degrees.

I dunno whether to pick Southampton, Nottingham, Leeds or York.

Southampton has a very unique degree which could allow me to spend my fourth year working at CERN, however is the overall rep of the uni more important?
Original post by ScienceGeek1878
I have my top 4 choices for uni, but I'm struggling in deciding a fourth. I already have Lancaster, Exeter, Bristol and Durham, all for physics related degrees.

I dunno whether to pick Southampton, Nottingham, Leeds or York.

Southampton has a very unique degree which could allow me to spend my fourth year working at CERN, however is the overall rep of the uni more important?

For physics/engineering type degrees, Southampton has a higher rep than Notts, Leeds or York, and that’s what really matters, not the rep of the uni overall.
Original post by LeapingLucy
For physics/engineering type degrees, Southampton has a higher rep than Notts, Leeds or York, and that’s what really matters, not the rep of the uni overall.

For engineering I would agree. However Notts has a really good research physics department. (Correct me if I'm wrong?)

Also, as I'm from Liverpool, in unsure whether Soton would be too far??
For engineering I would agree. However Notts has a really good research physics department. (Correct me if I'm wrong?)

Also, as I'm from Liverpool, in unsure whether Soton would be too far??

I’m no expert on physics degrees so I’m sure you’re right.

I wouldn’t be put off by distance. I can’t really talk because I’m at a uni 25 minutes from where I live, but if the course and uni feel right for you, then I think you should go for it.

However, if Notts is really good for physics and being a bit nearer to where you live is important to you, then it’s a really good option.
I’m no expert on physics degrees so I’m sure you’re right.

I wouldn’t be put off by distance. I can’t really talk because I’m at a uni 25 minutes from where I live, but if the course and uni feel right for you, then I think you should go for it.

However, if Notts is really good for physics and being a bit nearer to where you live is important to you, then it’s a really good option.

It's not necessarily the distance, it's more living near London/too 'south' which would be a pretty big adaptation for me. (although I'm applying to Bristol and Exeter so maybe I'm just a huge hypocrite.)
It's not necessarily the distance, it's more living near London/too 'south' which would be a pretty big adaptation for me. (although I'm applying to Bristol and Exeter so maybe I'm just a huge hypocrite.)

I see. You know that Southampton is nowhere near London right? 😂
I see. You know that Southampton is nowhere near London right? 😂

Geography isn't my strong point (despite it being one of my A level subjects🤣)

I honestly thought it was just a little South of London?
Geography isn't my strong point (despite it being one of my A level subjects🤣)

I honestly thought it was just a little South of London?

It’s on the South coast, 79 miles south of London.
It’s on the South coast, 79 miles south of London.

Ah, I actually thought London was more South that it is, (I'm from Liverpool)
Reply 9
Southampton has a good overall rep.
Southampton - excellent for all STEM subjects, and the connection to CERN will be invaluable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending