Turn on thread page Beta

*maintance loans for independent students!!!* watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, the reason I am writing about my experience as a first year student at university is to save others from being in the same situation!
    Are you living on your own? Young? Been paying your way in life for a while without parental support?
    BE CAREFUL WHEN APPLYING FOR A MAINTENANCE LOAN!
    So back in march (2017) I applied for the full tuition loan and also the full £9600 per year maintenance loan ( to help me through my bills at uni because if you're a student nurse legally you can only do 10 hrs per week paid work) anyway, 6 months later.. I'm due to start my course... no SF information.. so I call them up. I get told "your application will be accepted by the 5th October and you will receive £9600"
    The 5th October approaches. I ring SFE and they said that it still hasn't been accepted. 7th October: a letter arrives... "you are being awarded £3940 for the year". Now I don't know about anyone's else living on their own but £3940 for the year... that only just covers 3 months of bills for me!!
    Anyway... I ring SFE going ape about the amount awarded...
    HERE IS WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING...VERY INTERESTING.
    So... they ask for 3 years previous proof of financial support or financial independence. Now back in 2014/15 I was on an apprenticeship.. £3.79 p/h and paying for a car finance and my car insurance, paying for bills and food to live... I managed and I managed well. SFE believe that I couldn't physically of lived on such wage. THEY ARE SO WRONG. But in their eyes, because I didn't earn enough in 2014/15 I couldn't of physically been dependent on myself and will not be awarded the full maintance loan.
    Now here is my argument..
    it's a loan. If I went to the bank and got a loan they would only be interested in what I earn now.. not what I earnt at 17 years old!
    Again, it's a loan.. therefore it's not free money, I know. So it's not really an 'award' or I haven't really been 'awarded' anything. So why does t matter what my wage was on in 2014 to borrow money today? (2017).

Be careful when applying for student maintenance loan! If you plan to go to uni in 3 years open a savings account now so you can prove you had money 3 years prior to starting otherwise you might aswell wave that loan goodbye!
    If anyone else is or has been in a similar situation speak up!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.