The Student Room Group

My boyfriend has a huge issue of me having a solo profile picture

Scroll to see replies

Original post by djbigone
omfg this post is about me, how tf could you do this and post about our relationship on here. I've never been so heartbroken in my life, I thought what we had was special and the kind of relationship where we can talk to eachover about anything. I was clearly wrong. Goodbye.

I know you are most likely trolling but in case you aren't, I am not your girlfriend. My boyfriend has a different TSR name.
Original post by Anonymous
He said he was deeply offended by it and removed all of pictures with me from his timeline. When I said removing me like that is actually akin to a breakup he said he doesn't care and it's all or nothing for him, I am not entitled to a presence on his profile if I don't have him in my profile picture.

lmao is this real? Crazy.
The dude is evidently insecure and controlling, can't see it ending well.

HOWEVER, I have known of thots who completely make it unknown that they're in a relationship. Particularly girls at uni who are seeing guys outside the uni and have a substantial following in social media. They refuse to even make their statuses as official and don't have pictures making it clear that they're in a relationship.

Avoid these thots like the plague
He's being an idiot.
He needs to get over it tbh it's a Facebook profile picture, hardly grounds to throw a hissy fit, is it? If he's making such a big deal over something as petty as a photo, imagine what he's going to be like during when discussing something serious
Imagine how he's react if you told him "I cheated on you"

Do that for April fools btw, what a great idea
Original post by ParadiseFound
The dude is evidently insecure and controlling, can't see it ending well.

HOWEVER, I have known of thots who completely make it unknown that they're in a relationship. Particularly girls at uni who are seeing guys outside the uni and have a substantial following in social media. They refuse to even make their statuses as official and don't have pictures making it clear that they're in a relationship.

Avoid these thots like the plague

I am not one of those 'thots' at all. Everyone I know even at an acquaintance level knows I have a bf because I will have inevitably mentioned him at least passingly. I have a picture of us on my desk, in many places on my Facebook profile and my status says I'm in a relationship with him. I even told him that people would know I have a relationship from my status but he insists that no one looks at the status so anyone seeing a single picture would assume I am single.

Now I don't think there is much point to it, we see each other every day anyway so I don't get anything out of having him in my profile picture.

When I said removing me like that is actually akin to a breakup he said he doesn't care

I find this interesting. You don't think there is much point to keeping him in your profile picture but consider it akin to a break up when he removes you from his profile.

It was never important for me and I didn't expect him to return the favour when I did it on my profile, it was nice that he did but by no means mandatory. Now if I change my picture he not only removes his but also removes all of our photos from his profile.

I actually like posting pictures with him on my profile, I just don't like this arbitrary requirement he came up with.

From a neutral POV, I think you are the one being arbitrary. Solo profile picture is ok, but removing other photos from timeline is not ok.

I am looking at all the comments pointing at "his insecurities" and how he's trying to be a control-freak. Actually he's not. You are.

If you don't have to put him in your profile pic then he does not have to post your pics on his profile either. If anything he's reciprocating your actions.

And he's not the one so bothered by the whole affair that he's asking advice for it from random strangers online.
Original post by Inquirer
I find this interesting. You don't think there is much point to keeping him in your profile picture but consider it akin to a break up when he removes you from his profile.

From a neutral POV, I think you are the one being arbitrary. Solo profile picture is ok, but removing other photos from timeline is not ok.

I am looking at all the comments pointing at "his insecurities" and how he's trying to be a control-freak. Actually he's not. You are.

If you don't have to put him in your profile pic then he does not have to post your pics on his profile either. If anything he's reciprocating your actions.

And he's not the one so bothered by the whole affair that he's asking advice for it from random strangers online.

I don't understand why it should be mandatory for me to have a profile picture with him. Him removing other photos was done in retaliation to me removing my profile picture, and it was disproportionate because I only removed my profile picture while I kept all the other photos we posted together, whereas he removed everything. Removing everything is actually denying my existence; having a solo profile picture is not as I still have photos with him on my profile.
I don't understand why it should be mandatory for me to have a profile picture with him. Him removing other photos was done in retaliation to me removing my profile picture, and it was disproportionate because I only removed my profile picture while I kept all the other photos we posted together, whereas he removed everything. Removing everything is actually denying my existence; having a solo profile picture is not as I still have photos with him on my profile.

You have your justifications for keeping a solo profile pic and he has his for removing you from his timeline. It is not mandatory on you to have his pic in your profile pic. Why is it mandatory on him to have your pictures on his timeline?

Did he threaten to break up with you if you keep a solo picture? I am guessing not.

You think him removing you from his timeline completely is akin to a break up. Have you considered the possibility that he feels that you removing his picture is akin to a break up too?
You have your justifications for keeping a solo profile pic and he has his for removing you from his timeline. It is not mandatory on you to have his pic in your profile pic. Why is it mandatory on him to have your pictures on his timeline?

Did he threaten to break up with you if you keep a solo picture? I am guessing not.

You think him removing you from his timeline completely is akin to a break up. Have you considered the possibility that he feels that you removing his picture is akin to a break up too?

Updating a profile pic is not the same as going through your entire history and only deleting photos with you and your other half in, are you mad?
My boyfriend and I have been dating for 2 years. We were long distance until this month when we finally moved into the same city. Until now I've had him in my profile pictures on WhatsApp and Facebook because, in all honesty, I was super excited about having a new guy in my life and I just found it cute.

Now I don't think there is much point to it, we see each other every day anyway so I don't get anything out of having him in my profile picture. It's actually confusing to have two people representing the profile for one person. I have a foreign, unisex sounding name so I had people refer to me as 'he' a few times, thinking it was him that they were talking to. Most importantly I really don't like the idea that now there is an absolute rule that my profile pictures all have to have him in them.

So I changed it to a solo picture of me to see how he responds. I even made it hidden from timeline so that it would be a quiet change without anyone thinking we argued or broke up. He said he was deeply offended by it and removed all of pictures with me from his timeline. When I said removing me like that is actually akin to a breakup he said he doesn't care and it's all or nothing for him, I am not entitled to a presence on his profile if I don't have him in my profile picture.

Honestly now I wish I never started this tradition in the first place because he takes it the wrong way. In his defence, most people on his list who have SOs do seem to put profile pictures together 90% of the time. He thinks I am trying to act single if I don't have him in my profile picture since all those with bfs/gfs do have it.

I think you are perfectly within your rights to have your profile picture the way you want and he shouldn't have a problem with it. If someone threw a hissy fit like that on my I'd be like clear off then !! or call his bluff
Reply 32
My boyfriend and I have been dating for 2 years. We were long distance until this month when we finally moved into the same city. Until now I've had him in my profile pictures on WhatsApp and Facebook because, in all honesty, I was super excited about having a new guy in my life and I just found it cute.

Now I don't think there is much point to it, we see each other every day anyway so I don't get anything out of having him in my profile picture. It's actually confusing to have two people representing the profile for one person. I have a foreign, unisex sounding name so I had people refer to me as 'he' a few times, thinking it was him that they were talking to. Most importantly I really don't like the idea that now there is an absolute rule that my profile pictures all have to have him in them.

So I changed it to a solo picture of me to see how he responds. I even made it hidden from timeline so that it would be a quiet change without anyone thinking we argued or broke up. He said he was deeply offended by it and removed all of pictures with me from his timeline. When I said removing me like that is actually akin to a breakup he said he doesn't care and it's all or nothing for him, I am not entitled to a presence on his profile if I don't have him in my profile picture.

Honestly now I wish I never started this tradition in the first place because he takes it the wrong way. In his defence, most people on his list who have SOs do seem to put profile pictures together 90% of the time. He thinks I am trying to act single if I don't have him in my profile picture since all those with bfs/gfs do have it.

Wtf is wrong with him. Tell him to piss off with that ****. I've been with my boyfriend 1 and a half years and I'm still down as single on Facebook. Your relationship exists in the real world, not on social media. Plus he has no right to control what you do with things that belong to you (i.e. your Facebook profile). Letting him have a say over things like that is a dangerous way to go.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Updating a profile pic is not the same as going through your entire history and only deleting photos with you and your other half in, are you mad?

How long do you think it takes to delete someone's photos from your profile? Minutes.

How do you even know she checked her bf's entire timeline? And what sort of a crazy person checks her bf's entire timeline anyways?
Wow he's so childish. Do what you want with your Facebook page girl x
No offence but your boyfriend sounds like a pathetic man-child. Tell him to his face that you're looking for a man, not a child and tell him to get over it
I am not one of those 'thots' at all. Everyone I know even at an acquaintance level knows I have a bf because I will have inevitably mentioned him at least passingly. I have a picture of us on my desk, in many places on my Facebook profile and my status says I'm in a relationship with him. I even told him that people would know I have a relationship from my status but he insists that no one looks at the status so anyone seeing a single picture would assume I am single.

This is the kinda gal a guy wants, don't even mean to sound insecure or anything but nothing is worse than someone in a relationship who ACTS single.
Reply 37
RED LIGHT!!! tell him to deal with it, or show himself out the door. manipulative behaviour. don’t let him boss u around
How long do you think it takes to delete someone's photos from your profile? Minutes.

How do you even know she checked her bf's entire timeline? And what sort of a crazy person checks her bf's entire timeline anyways?

I inferred from the OP that he told her in did that in response to her profile pic change. But you make a good point, if my boyfriend even attempted a conversation like this I'd laugh and tell him to jog the **** on and not give it another moments thought. Not that he ever would, because he's a normal person.
One of the many reasons I effing hate social media

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending