Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My boyfriend has a huge issue of me having a solo profile picture Watch

ReputationRep:
    One of the many reasons I effing hate social media

dump him

ReputationRep:
    Leave... Those are major signs of a manipulative person/ a extremely clingy person

ReputationRep:
    Is not about you starting a tradition honey, is about him being a little childish :|

ReputationRep:
    Agree!! Gal Power!

ReputationRep:
    Its a pathetic and OTT reaction, and you making this thread wanting to hear our thoughts suggests you think the same aswell. It makes one wonder how he'd react to real life grown up decisions if this is is reaction over something minor. Yes he can say he does't like you having a solo pic as he's become used you having one of him included aswell, but what you do with that info is up to you. Him removing all your pics from his profile is just emotionally manipulative and shows he is highly insecure even though you've been with him for 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    Just deactivate your account until he grows the **** up. Social media ain't worth the aggro.

ReputationRep:
    Looooollll he’s a *****, dump him sis
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    As much as I advocate compromising and finding solutions, this might be the one instance where I feel like that is not the correct advice.

While I am no expert on the matter, nor do I know your relationship well enough to judge the kind of model you follow and what may work for you, I can tell you that these are red flags and very clear indicators of someone who is, or will develop a controlling personality.

His role in the relationship will shift to a more dominant one and your life more controlled by him, and while I am not the kind of person who jumps on the bandwagon to immediately rule out traditional models of relationships in which one person has the ultimate say, (or so called being "the man of the house" I think this case is different.

It isn't the fact that he dislikes your actions that causes me to suggest that the solution is not a compromise, but it is the fact that he was not willing to negotiate at all, judging from your original post. He did not express his concerns nor discuss it with you but instead, quite childishly, selfishly and in a very controlling manner gave an ultimatum.

Personally, I would still try to negotiate, since I'm more of someone who fixes things when they break instead of trashing them. However, if he is not willing to negotiate or at least try and see your point of view, or understand that his initial behaviour is not justified irrespective of how he feels, then quite frankly I think it's your turn to give him the ultimatum.

Obviously, don't let my opinion affect what you think is best. I wish you the best of luck.

Edit: Would just like to add that him saying he will remove the pictures of you two is sort of half-justified, however just bear in mind that you are removing a SINGLE picture of him for a VALID reason (which is confusion due to your unisex name), whereas he is threatening to remove ALL pictures of you just for retaliation purposes..?

Seems like if you wronged him slightly, he'd get revenge in a much harsher manner. That is not the behaviour of a genuine boyfriend/girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to stop being a little ***** about it.

ReputationRep:
    lmfao he sounds like an overly sensitive *****. Who da*** gets upset over a profile pic looool
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    To be fair most couples have a photo of both of them, however it is odd that is is so upset by it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My boyfriend and I have been dating for 2 years. We were long distance until this month when we finally moved into the same city. Until now I've had him in my profile pictures on WhatsApp and Facebook because, in all honesty, I was super excited about having a new guy in my life and I just found it cute.

Now I don't think there is much point to it, we see each other every day anyway so I don't get anything out of having him in my profile picture. It's actually confusing to have two people representing the profile for one person. I have a foreign, unisex sounding name so I had people refer to me as 'he' a few times, thinking it was him that they were talking to. Most importantly I really don't like the idea that now there is an absolute rule that my profile pictures all have to have him in them.

So I changed it to a solo picture of me to see how he responds. I even made it hidden from timeline so that it would be a quiet change without anyone thinking we argued or broke up. He said he was deeply offended by it and removed all of pictures with me from his timeline. When I said removing me like that is actually akin to a breakup he said he doesn't care and it's all or nothing for him, I am not entitled to a presence on his profile if I don't have him in my profile picture.

Honestly now I wish I never started this tradition in the first place because he takes it the wrong way. In his defence, most people on his list who have SOs do seem to put profile pictures together 90% of the time. He thinks I am trying to act single if I don't have him in my profile picture since all those with bfs/gfs do have it.
    You are your own woman and you cant let a man boss you around and tell you what to do and what not to do. He's not your dad and he's not your husband either and it's not written in stone...is it? Sit him down and explain to him and if he still doesn't get it then there's plenty of fish in the sea. There are really decent guys out there. Good luck x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.