Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I want to apply for History and English at university, so I'm trying to think of an EPQ question that would accommodate both of these subjects as I think it'd be really beneficial to my understanding of the interdisciplinary links between the two, as well as being an addition to my application. I'm finding it slightly difficult to narrow down my topic question though.
    I was considering the following:
    • Take a book written by a woman from each century 11th-21st and investigate how the works can provide insight into the progressions of female empowerment/ stagnations of patriarchy institutions over a millennium. The problem with this is that it's quite vague, and could prove to be a lot of work. If anyone has any insight into how I could narrow this question down/ make it more specific, I would really appreciate it.
    • The relevance of fiction/ storytelling in the development of human civilisation
    • How understanding of 19th century attitudes towards mental illness, madness and women can inform a more critical reading of some 19th century feminist texts
    • Relevance of literature/ written work in the rise of feminism in the late 19th/early 20th/21st century
    • How women were presented in 19th century literature and publications, and how this has changed/ stayed the same in the 21st century (I was considering using the Madwoman in the Attic idea and comparing it with the Madonna-Whore complex of the 21st century)
    • How a specific historical event can be interpreted differently when it is considered from different perspectives
    • How 'truth' can be defined in a historical and literary context, and whether 'fact' is the same as 'truth' (again, this is quite broad, but nonetheless interesting, and it'd be good to get some help in developing this idea)
    • The extent to which a woman can be perceived as a social identity, and how this idea has been constructed over time
    • The expression of female sexuality over the 19th, 20th and 21st century, and how this has been influenced by societal movements, literary works etc
    • How history is too often written and viewed through the perspective of the victors, and how exploration into 'history from below', that is to say history from people who did not have the privilege of spreading their story, can better inform an understanding of a historical movement
    • Something about Sylvia Plath
    • What is 'history'? How is it written?
    • The holocaust and its relationship with literature

If anyone has any advice, it would really be appreciated. If anyone could also recommend history topics that they have a particular interest in that they think it would be interesting to research, I'd love to hear those too.

ReputationRep:
    I do a History EPQ , and the best advice I can give you is......

1.) When thinking of a topic ask yourself this "Can I write a book from this topic" if the answer is yes then your topic is too broad. I can see most of your ideas are too broad, alsthough some can be focused. Remember you only have 5000 words

2.) Has there ever been something you have always wanted to study but never got the chance to?

You are interested in womens history I see, I can't really give advice on the English side of things. You could think about Womens Civil Rights, the role of women in key events then you can focus those down.

I can relate being in your position a few months ago really difficult choice to make

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    I do a History EPQ , and the best advice I can give you is......

1.) When thinking of a topic ask yourself this "Can I write a book from this topic" if the answer is yes then your topic is too broad. I can see most of your ideas are too broad, alsthough some can be focused. Remember you only have 5000 words

2.) Has there ever been something you have always wanted to study but never got the chance to?

You are interested in womens history I see, I can't really give advice on the English side of things. You could think about Womens Civil Rights, the role of women in key events then you can focus those down.

I can relate being in your position a few months ago really difficult choice to make
    Thank you so much! This was really helpful. What did you do yours on?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.