The Student Room Group

Stuck with choosing A level subject!

I am currently in year 11 and wish to go to my schools sixth form. I already am certain that I will be taking English Literature and Drama. But I’m stuck with choosing a third option. Can you help please!
Reply 1
Original post by AD001
I am currently in year 11 and wish to go to my schools sixth form. I already am certain that I will be taking English Literature and Drama. But I’m stuck with choosing a third option. Can you help please!

Can you please be more elaborate as to what the other options are?
Reply 2
Original post by Thachi3
Can you please be more elaborate as to what the other options are?

Art and design
Biology
Business studies
Chemistry

Computer science
Drama and theatre studies
English Literature
EPQ

French
Geography
Government and politics
History
ICT
Maths
Physics
Product design
Psychology
Sociology
Textiles
Reply 3
Original post by AD001
Art and design
Biology
Business studies
Chemistry

Computer science
Drama and theatre studies
English Literature
EPQ

French
Geography
Government and politics
History
ICT
Maths
Physics
Product design
Psychology
Sociology
Textiles

I was ging to suggest something related to drama and literature.... Clearly, there are no. So, why not try maybe diversifying your studies to a new dream, that you may have an interest on or a subject that you feel will be needed for your future.
I know this wasn't much help, but apologies cuz I do not know you.
Reply 4
Original post by Thachi3
I was ging to suggest something related to drama and literature.... Clearly, there are no. So, why not try maybe diversifying your studies to a new dream, that you may have an interest on or a subject that you feel will be needed for your future.
I know this wasn't much help, but apologies cuz I do not know you.

Unfortunately, the career I am interested in requires A level English Literature. Drama and theatre studies is because im passionate about it.
Reply 5
Original post by AD001

It depends on what you want to do after a level. If you choose to go to uni some courses require certain a levels so if you know what type of course you want to do you can check a level requirements on ucas.
Otherwise just do what you enjoy (you have to do the subject for 2 years so it helps if you enjoy it) and what you are good at ( if you're good at it now you're more likely to get a good grade in the end. There's not much point in doing an a level in a subject that you're terrible at).
Reply 6
Original post by AD001
Unfortunately, the career I am interested in requires A level English Literature. Drama and theatre studies is because im passionate about it.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting not to do literature.
Try considerring options from what you did in OL's and maybe found interesting?
Reply 7
What do you enjoy the most?
Reply 8
Original post by Tsalmon
It depends on what you want to do after a level. If you choose to go to uni some courses require certain a levels so if you know what type of course you want to do you can check a level requirements on ucas.
Otherwise just do what you enjoy (you have to do the subject for 2 years so it helps if you enjoy it) and what you are good at ( if you're good at it now you're more likely to get a good grade in the end. There's not much point in doing an a level in a subject that you're terrible at).

What if the subject is new to me? By that I mean some of the courses available at A level was not available at GCSE
Original post by AD001

What about History or Government&Politics?
Reply 10
Original post by SuperHuman98
What about History or Government&Politics?

Do you study these? If so what are they like?

I will consider government and politics, that’s quite interesting...maybe
History or Sociology would complement English and Drama well enough. Psychology, Geography, G&P or a foreign language would all be suitable as well, albeit less immediately relevant (with the exception of languages, if you're interested in the literature of a country that speaks the target language). Which would be best depends on your interests, and how well you've done in them in the past.

STEM subjects would be fine, but aren't really relevant and you should be certain you will do well in them and are actually interested in them by themselves, without any notions of academic superiority. I'd suggest avoiding taking Art/ICT/Product Design/Textiles/Business Studies alongside Drama, as this may limit where you can apply for university if that's of interest, as most require two "academic" subjects at minimum (and drama is usually not considered in that vein, along with those others mentioned, although it's normally acceptable as a third, or fourth, subject).

An EPQ is an option if there is a specific thing you want to learn more about that isn't on the main syllabus but is related to your subjects - however normally this must be taken as fourth option, alongside three other subjects.
Reply 12
Original post by S27
What do you enjoy the most?

Well it’s only English and drama I really enjoy. The list of courses above are new to me since some wasn’t available at GCSE.
Reply 13
Original post by artful_lounger
History or Sociology would complement English and Drama well enough. Psychology, Geography, G&P or a foreign language would all be suitable as well, albeit less immediately relevant (with the exception of languages, if you're interested in the literature of a country that speaks the target language). Which would be best depends on your interests, and how well you've done in them in the past.

STEM subjects would be fine, but aren't really relevant and you should be certain you will do well in them and are actually interested in them by themselves, without any notions of academic superiority. I'd suggest avoiding taking Art/ICT/Product Design/Textiles/Business Studies alongside Drama, as this may limit where you can apply for university if that's of interest, as most require two "academic" subjects at minimum (and drama is usually not considered in that vein, along with those others mentioned, although it's normally acceptable as a third, or fourth, subject).

An EPQ is an option if there is a specific thing you want to learn more about that isn't on the main syllabus but is related to your subjects - however normally this must be taken as fourth option, alongside three other subjects.

If I was to choose 2 “preferred subjects” and Drama and theatre studies (which is non preferred) would that be ok for applying to uni?
Original post by AD001
Do you study these? If so what are they like?

I will consider government and politics, that’s quite interesting...maybe

I study both at a-level (year 13) :smile:. Really interesting and fun to revise for both. Government and Politics in AS was really interesting and it just gets more interesting in A2 as I do USA politics. I find that Social Sciences/Humanities are my thing :cool:

Also I think at the end of your GCSE's you will have a better feeling of what subjects you want to do
Do some research into what will be on the syllabus for the ones you haven't studied yet to see if they sound interesting, speaking to a teacher that teaches that subject might be a good idea as they will know what will be involved in the course
Original post by AD001
If I was to choose 2 “preferred subjects” and Drama and theatre studies (which is non preferred) would that be ok for applying to uni?

Preferred vs "non-preferred" tends to be a poorer way to look at it, as then people start saying "oh well geography is non-preferred because it's a soft subject". A more useful split is "academic" vs "applied/vocational/creative/etc".

Essentially, subjects which are primarily examined by written exam, vs those that aren't. Since the majority of university degree subjects will be assessed primarily by written exam, they want to see you have experience in similar academic formats and can do well in them. This doesn't necessarily imply a feeling that other subjects are inferior - it's just they need to know you can cope with the workload and style, so you don't get yourself into something you can't do and leave (which is bad for both you and the university).

But yes, taking 2 academic and one other subject will be suitable for almost any university. With the exception of e.g. LSE, Imperial or similar, any others will be fine with it. Also there are exceptions to the above, as some courses at LSE (such as Anthropology) consider drama suitably academic for their course standards, due to the nature of the subject, and e.g. Imperial will be less fussy about say, music or for some courses art/design based courses (specifically their design engineering degrees).
Original post by artful_lounger

This.

I'd say History/Govt&Politics/Psychology/Sociology.

Look into if theres any preferred subject. If not, pick whatever interests you.
I chose Sociology on results day but I'm really enjoying it. Currently in year 13 and Sociology is the subject I like being in the most rn. I'm on the AQA exam board and as long as you know the content and question structures, it'll be easy to get a high grade. I didn't take History but I have friends who take it as well as Sociology and they say that History is more difficult

Quick Reply

Latest