Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Driving Test - what can I do to pass?!? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have completely had enough of trying to pass my driving test. I have now failed three times, and feel like I am cursed with bad luck. I started off with an instructor for several months, but he was very verbally abusive and really destroyed my confidence. I swapped to another one after being on his waiting list for a while and he is much nicer.

1st time - My car broke down twenty minutes before test (I was using this over my instructors as I felt much more confident in it and had practiced a lot more in it), so we had to call my instructor and he managed to bring his car 1 minute before my test was due. I was naturally very nervous, so the fact that I didn't know whether I would even be doing the test or in which car didn't help matters. During test I only got 3 minors, but got a serious for hitting the kerb during the turn in the road, as I hadn't used the car for four months, and had never reversed in it, so didn't expect it to reverse quite as fast as it did.

2nd time - my local test centre has a 3 month waiting list, so I tried a different place (that was much busier). Failed because she said I hesitated at a roundabout, which I don't believe as the driver next to me on the roundabout didn't judge it safe to move either. Otherwise 4 minors for speed and observations.

3rd time - At a roundabout, I had passed the line, when a car to my right (who wasn't there when I was pulling out) didn't stop, pulled out and cut me up.However, I didn't cause anyone else to alter their driving, and it wasn't my fault that the car wasn't giving way to be when it should have done. Other than this, I got no other faults (0 minors).

I just feel so down about it. I have had so many lessons between tests and spent so many hours practicing outside of lessons, and money is a real problem so I feel so rubbish about it, especially since my lessons aren't cheap. Especially since I have friends who have passed but can't park their cars in a parking bay, won't go anywhere new unless they have a parent with them and admit themselves that they don't think they are safe drivers. My driving instructor says that I am one of the safest drivers he has ever had, but I now have to wait until December for another test. My 18th birthday is next week, so it is taking me over a year to pass, which pathetic.

I am finding it hard because I have never not been able to do something after hard work. I have always had A*/A grades and never anything lower than a B, so am feeling really bad about this constant failure.

What can I do to pass? I feel like it will never happen.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _alice_17)
    I have completely had enough of trying to pass my driving test. I have now failed three times, and feel like I am cursed with bad luck. I started off with an instructor for several months, but he was very verbally abusive and really destroyed my confidence. I swapped to another one after being on his waiting list for a while and he is much nicer.

1st time - My car broke down twenty minutes before test (I was using this over my instructors as I felt much more confident in it and had practiced a lot more in it), so we had to call my instructor and he managed to bring his car 1 minute before my test was due. I was naturally very nervous, so the fact that I didn't know whether I would even be doing the test or in which car didn't help matters. During test I only got 3 minors, but got a serious for hitting the kerb during the turn in the road, as I hadn't used the car for four months, and had never reversed in it, so didn't expect it to reverse quite as fast as it did.

2nd time - my local test centre has a 3 month waiting list, so I tried a different place (that was much busier). Failed because she said I hesitated at a roundabout, which I don't believe as the driver next to me on the roundabout didn't judge it safe to move either. Otherwise 4 minors for speed and observations.

3rd time - At a roundabout, I had passed the line, when a car to my right (who wasn't there when I was pulling out) didn't stop, pulled out and cut me up.However, I didn't cause anyone else to alter their driving, and it wasn't my fault that the car wasn't giving way to be when it should have done. Other than this, I got no other faults (0 minors).

I just feel so down about it. I have had so many lessons between tests and spent so many hours practicing outside of lessons, and money is a real problem so I feel so rubbish about it, especially since my lessons aren't cheap. Especially since I have friends who have passed but can't park their cars in a parking bay, won't go anywhere new unless they have a parent with them and admit themselves that they don't think they are safe drivers. My driving instructor says that I am one of the safest drivers he has ever had, but I now have to wait until December for another test. My 18th birthday is next week, so it is taking me over a year to pass, which pathetic.

I am finding it hard because I have never not been able to do something after hard work. I have always had A*/A grades and never anything lower than a B, so am feeling really bad about this constant failure.

What can I do to pass? I feel like it will never happen.
    This all sounds like your too nervous! Nerves are normal, you just have to keep them to a minimum.

Also, I'd say, you should've tried to appeal against that 2nd test.

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    This all sounds like your too nervous! Nerves are normal, you just have to keep them to a minimum.

Also, I'd say, you should've tried to appeal against that 2nd test.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Thanks for your reply! On the first test I was nervous, but I wasn't really on the second one , and today I had no nerves at all - I was confident that I would pass and would be driving to sixth form this afternoon, which makes the failure worse.
    I was going to try and appeal, but I saw that it doesn't change the outcome, and that at the end of the day it would be my word against theirs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.