Turn on thread page Beta

Driving Test - what can I do to pass?!? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have completely had enough of trying to pass my driving test. I have now failed three times, and feel like I am cursed with bad luck. I started off with an instructor for several months, but he was very verbally abusive and really destroyed my confidence. I swapped to another one after being on his waiting list for a while and he is much nicer.

1st time - My car broke down twenty minutes before test (I was using this over my instructors as I felt much more confident in it and had practiced a lot more in it), so we had to call my instructor and he managed to bring his car 1 minute before my test was due. I was naturally very nervous, so the fact that I didn't know whether I would even be doing the test or in which car didn't help matters. During test I only got 3 minors, but got a serious for hitting the kerb during the turn in the road, as I hadn't used the car for four months, and had never reversed in it, so didn't expect it to reverse quite as fast as it did.

2nd time - my local test centre has a 3 month waiting list, so I tried a different place (that was much busier). Failed because she said I hesitated at a roundabout, which I don't believe as the driver next to me on the roundabout didn't judge it safe to move either. Otherwise 4 minors for speed and observations.

3rd time - At a roundabout, I had passed the line, when a car to my right (who wasn't there when I was pulling out) didn't stop, pulled out and cut me up.However, I didn't cause anyone else to alter their driving, and it wasn't my fault that the car wasn't giving way to be when it should have done. Other than this, I got no other faults (0 minors).

I just feel so down about it. I have had so many lessons between tests and spent so many hours practicing outside of lessons, and money is a real problem so I feel so rubbish about it, especially since my lessons aren't cheap. Especially since I have friends who have passed but can't park their cars in a parking bay, won't go anywhere new unless they have a parent with them and admit themselves that they don't think they are safe drivers. My driving instructor says that I am one of the safest drivers he has ever had, but I now have to wait until December for another test. My 18th birthday is next week, so it is taking me over a year to pass, which pathetic.

I am finding it hard because I have never not been able to do something after hard work. I have always had A*/A grades and never anything lower than a B, so am feeling really bad about this constant failure.

What can I do to pass? I feel like it will never happen.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by _alice_17)
    I have completely had enough of trying to pass my driving test. I have now failed three times, and feel like I am cursed with bad luck. I started off with an instructor for several months, but he was very verbally abusive and really destroyed my confidence. I swapped to another one after being on his waiting list for a while and he is much nicer.

1st time - My car broke down twenty minutes before test (I was using this over my instructors as I felt much more confident in it and had practiced a lot more in it), so we had to call my instructor and he managed to bring his car 1 minute before my test was due. I was naturally very nervous, so the fact that I didn't know whether I would even be doing the test or in which car didn't help matters. During test I only got 3 minors, but got a serious for hitting the kerb during the turn in the road, as I hadn't used the car for four months, and had never reversed in it, so didn't expect it to reverse quite as fast as it did.

2nd time - my local test centre has a 3 month waiting list, so I tried a different place (that was much busier). Failed because she said I hesitated at a roundabout, which I don't believe as the driver next to me on the roundabout didn't judge it safe to move either. Otherwise 4 minors for speed and observations.

3rd time - At a roundabout, I had passed the line, when a car to my right (who wasn't there when I was pulling out) didn't stop, pulled out and cut me up.However, I didn't cause anyone else to alter their driving, and it wasn't my fault that the car wasn't giving way to be when it should have done. Other than this, I got no other faults (0 minors).

I just feel so down about it. I have had so many lessons between tests and spent so many hours practicing outside of lessons, and money is a real problem so I feel so rubbish about it, especially since my lessons aren't cheap. Especially since I have friends who have passed but can't park their cars in a parking bay, won't go anywhere new unless they have a parent with them and admit themselves that they don't think they are safe drivers. My driving instructor says that I am one of the safest drivers he has ever had, but I now have to wait until December for another test. My 18th birthday is next week, so it is taking me over a year to pass, which pathetic.

I am finding it hard because I have never not been able to do something after hard work. I have always had A*/A grades and never anything lower than a B, so am feeling really bad about this constant failure.

What can I do to pass? I feel like it will never happen.
    This all sounds like your too nervous! Nerves are normal, you just have to keep them to a minimum.

Also, I'd say, you should've tried to appeal against that 2nd test.

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    This all sounds like your too nervous! Nerves are normal, you just have to keep them to a minimum.

Also, I'd say, you should've tried to appeal against that 2nd test.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Thanks for your reply! On the first test I was nervous, but I wasn't really on the second one , and today I had no nerves at all - I was confident that I would pass and would be driving to sixth form this afternoon, which makes the failure worse.
    I was going to try and appeal, but I saw that it doesn't change the outcome, and that at the end of the day it would be my word against theirs.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.