Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What degrees need to be supported by a university name? Watch

ReputationRep:
    For example, Law is going to be competitive, and the university name is going to make a big impact for the application. What other degrees are like this? Does STEM not have to worry about this too much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fonzworth)
    For example, Law is going to be competitive, and the university name is going to make a big impact for the application. What other degrees are like this? Does STEM not have to worry about this too much?
    For medicine when you apply for F1 (first job after graduating) your medical school is hidden by law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    For medicine when you apply for F1 (first job after graduating) your medical school is hidden by law.
    Yet, bizarrely, your uni is listed on your publicly accessible GMC entry.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if STEM is entirely free, just that they appear to not worry as much as Humanities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Yet, bizarrely, your uni is listed on your publicly accessible GMC entry.
    I can't remember the full details tbh.

Also, you get a provisional registration for F1 and then full registration for F2. Not sure if there's any difference in what info can be viewed

ReputationRep:
    For most legal jobs, your university name will mean sweet FA.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    For most legal jobs, your university name will means sweet FA.
    Probably plays a factor in getting a TC before that though, at least for Magic Circle firms. Less so outside London, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CastCuraga)
    Probably plays a factor in getting a TC before that though, at least for Magic Circle firms. Less so outside London, obviously.
    Not even at MC firms (I should know).

But even if it was MC firms that counts for less than 8% of the number of training contracts, and then there are thousands of legal jobs outside of training contracts.

ReputationRep:
    For Civil Service Fast Stream it doesn't matter where or what your degree is in, so long as it is 2.2 plus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Not even at MC firms (I should know).

But even if it was MC firms that counts for less than 8% of the number of training contracts, and then there are thousands of legal jobs outside of training contracts.
    Oh, really? News to me, but I'm happy to hear it. There's a common perception of elitism over MCs/universities I'd be happy to see fade.

All fair points though, I just assumed OP was referring to solicitor/barrister jobs specifically when mentioning Law.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, really? News to me, but I'm happy to hear it. There's a common perception of elitism over MCs/universities I'd be happy to see fade.

All fair points though, I just assumed OP was referring to solicitor/barrister jobs specifically when mentioning Law.
    Yes, it is a common myth. It isn't even fading, it wasn't actually there in the first place.

This attitude is typically seen in many sectors though, but typically at the very premium end of the career spectrum. It doesn't mean it is reflective of the whole profession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Yes, it is a common myth. It isn't even fading, it wasn't actually there in the first place.

This attitude is typically seen in many sectors though, but typically at the very premium end of the career spectrum. It doesn't mean it is reflective of the whole profession.
    Ah, apologies - I meant the perception fading. Put me off doing Law a few years ago, and I'm sure quite a few others as well.

Is it perhaps because there are so many more Law graduates than actual places as solicitors and barristers that people begin to get the impression that only the best universities take TCs? An Oxbridge will likely have an easier time getting one than, I don't know, a Bangor graduate.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, apologies - I meant the perception fading. Put me off doing Law a few years ago, and I'm sure quite a few others as well.

Is it perhaps because there are so many more Law graduates than actual places as solicitors and barristers that people begin to get the impression that only the best universities take TCs? An Oxbridge will likely have an easier time getting one than, I don't know, a Bangor graduate.
    And that is half the problem, the myth actually perpetuates where people are put off by the myth itself.

The idea there are too many law graduates is a bit of a false idea too - part of the issue is assuming a law degree = you want a career in law. You could say the same of many professions though, there's more accountancy students than accountancy roles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)

It doesn't matter to you (the person collating all the relevant info together, and presenting it in a nice little file for the partners) or it doesn't matter to the partners?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    And that is half the problem, the myth actually perpetuates where people are put off by the myth itself.

The idea there are too many law graduates is a bit of a false idea too - part of the issue is assuming a law degree = you want a career in law. You could say the same of many professions though, there's more accountancy students than accountancy roles.
    This is starting to tempt me towards law again, I see so many things that are exaggerated on this site which keeps putting me off certain degrees

ReputationRep:
    For law there is, people who say there isn't are wrong. Oxbridge and Durham have more barristers than the 10 unis below them combined. With London law firms Oxbridge make up 30% every year. There's only about 400 oxbridge law students that graduate every year while there is around 20,000 from every other unvieristy. I think that shows how dispropriate the 30% to 70% is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)

How so? Because people get put off and assume the whole "they only hire Oxbridge" people thing? Apologies for less eloquent speech; long day and English isn't my first language.

I think many people do go into law with the intention of it at the start, but the problem both Law and Accounting have is that their roles can be done by non-Law grads. Any subject can do a GDL, and I know a great many people on my Biomed degree planning to go into Accounting afterwards. It might undermine the value of it as an undergrad to some people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    It doesn't matter to you (the person collating all the relevant info together, and presenting it in a nice little file for the partners) or it doesn't matter to the partners?
    You need to try harder or up your game somehow. That's verging on pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    You need to try harder or up your game somehow. That's verging on pathetic.
    Stop flirting. And avoiding the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliticsandP)
    For law there is, people who say there isn't are wrong. Oxbridge and Durham have more barristers than the 10 unis below them combined. With London law firms Oxbridge make up 30% every year. There's only about 400 oxbridge law students that graduate every year while there is around 20,000 from every other unvieristy. I think that shows how dispropriate the 30% to 70% is.
    (Original post by PoliticsandP)
    You are not taking into consideration non law students nor the number of applications made in the first place. The disproportionate levels, especially in London is based on many other factors before university name.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.