Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Work experience/volunteering Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering about the best ways to get work experience and volunteering?? I've just started year 12, and obviously work experience/volunteering would look better on my CV for job applications. Was wondering if anyone has any tips? (Also I'm new to the student room😬)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What kind of work experience are you looking for? If it's just volunteering in a charity shop, then you just go in and ask if they need any help and tell them your availability. If they do have spaces free, they'll give you an application form, you fill it out and give it back and they ask when you can start.

ReputationRep:
    There are various websites like do-it.org which helps you find relevant volunteering in your area quite easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilynicholsx)
    Hi, I was wondering about the best ways to get work experience and volunteering?? I've just started year 12, and obviously work experience/volunteering would look better on my CV for job applications. Was wondering if anyone has any tips? (Also I'm new to the student room😬)
    Hi, welcome to TSR!

In terms of work experience, do you have any interests? Research local companies and write letters/email them with a little bit about yourself and enquire if they could give you a placement.

A good place to look at volunteering is do-it.org, which contains a wide range of placements in your postcode. Select the ones that sound good to you and apply for them. Charity shops are also looking for volunteers, just walk in and ask for an application form. Some areas also have a local volunteer centre - you can talk to an advisor about what you are looking for and what your skills are, and they will give you a list of recommended placements. One last place you could look at is your local newspaper, as some charities advertise there too.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilynicholsx)
    Hi there, do-it is a great place to find volounteering experience.
    Work Experience is entirely different and really depends on the type of industry you wish to enter.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.