The Student Room Group

chem question help plz !!

Glauber's salt is a form of hydrated sodium sulphate that contains 44.1% by mass of sodium sulfate . Hydrated sodium sulphate can be represented by the formula Na2SO4.xH2O , where x is an integer . Calculate the value of x .

would be useful if we actually did this in class and i understood what it means
Reply 1
I am assuming you know how to work out the empirical formula if its just Na2SO4. Just treat it the same way, just make the Na2SO4 under 1 Mr, and the H2O the other 65.9%
Reply 2
sorry i meant 55.9%
Original post by Brruh
I am assuming you know how to work out the empirical formula if its just Na2SO4. Just treat it the same way, just make the Na2SO4 under 1 Mr, and the H2O the other 65.9%

yeh ok , ik how to do emperical formula , where do i go from there
Yup, just assume that the 44.1 is the mass of the sodium sulfate and 55.9 is the mass of water and use the empirical formula
Reply 5
Divide 44.1 by Mr of Na2SO4, and 55.9 by 18.0 (Mr of H2O), then divide the smaller of the two by the larger to find the mole ratio. Then you should be able to do the rest
Original post by Brruh
Divide 44.1 by Mr of Na2SO4, and 55.9 by 18.0 (Mr of H2O), then divide the smaller of the two by the larger to find the mole ratio. Then you should be able to do the rest

oh ok , got it , thanks
Reply 7
Np boi

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending