The Student Room Group

How many A*s for oxbridge/durham

If I got:
9 in eng lit
A* in History
7 in Eng Lang (being remarked as one paper at a high 9)
A in Latin
A in additional science
A in further additional
B in PE
6 in Maths
C In Spanish could I apply for durham or oxbridge to do joint English and history? I'm taking History, English, Bio and Chemistry at A-Level
aim higher and you will achieve as high as you want
Reply 2
I do the same subjects as you! I'm in A2 though. You could apply, I don't think too much weight is placed on GCSEs that, if you had good predicted grades, they'd not give you a chance, but a lot of applicants will have stronger GCSE grades than you.
Oxford is known to focus on GCSE’s more than other universities however they’ve said to me they realise not everyone reaches their full potential at GCSE stage. So you should definitely still apply to one of either Oxford or Cambridge if that’s where you’d like to go! As for Durham I don’t think they’ll even take a second look at this set of GCSE’s and you should be proud. Just focus now on your a levels so you can perform in them to the best of your ability :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Have you researched into the Oxford and Cambridge courses at all? (I don't think Cambridge offers it but I might be wrong)

GCSE requirements and admissions statistics can be found online with a simple google search - you just need to be bothered to look!
Reply 5
Original post by Baaah
Have you researched into the Oxford and Cambridge courses at all? (I don't think Cambridge offers it but I might be wrong)

GCSE requirements and admissions statistics can be found online with a simple google search - you just need to be bothered to look!

I did but nothing came up, nothing specific for my search of courses either
Reply 6
I just did a quick search for you:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/history-and-english?wssl=1

Nothing for Cambridge, meaning they don't have joint English and History
Reply 7
Original post by Baaah
I just did a quick search for you:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/history-and-english?wssl=1

Nothing for Cambridge, meaning they don't have joint English and History

there is nothing to do with how many a*s you need at GCSE though?
Reply 8
just do well in your alevels/predicated grades
Reply 9
Original post by student0203
there is nothing to do with how many a*s you need at GCSE though?

On the Oxford website:

" Higher grades at GCSE can help to make your application more competitive, and successful applicants typically have a high proportion of A and A* grades (7,8 and 9). However, we do look at GCSE grades in context. Where possible, tutors will be made aware of the overall GCSE performance of the school or college where you studied. They will also have information on how you have performed compared with other Oxford applicants at similar schools.
If you feel that you did less well in your GCSEs than you might otherwise have done, because of extenuating circumstances, you may still be able to make a competitive application. We take care to treat each application individually and would always take such mitigating circumstances into account, if they are brought to our attention. You may like to mention any such circumstances in your personal statement, and your referee should make sure to mention them clearly in their reference.
Tutors will want to see how you improve your academic performance after your GCSEs and that you do well in your A-levels or other equivalent qualifications. "

So basically, there is no set requirement for GCSE, but the more A*s you have, the more competitive your application will be. This is used contextually of course, so if your school scores C grades on average and you get A*s then you will have some advantage.
Your GCSEs are low for the average Oxford applicant so if you do have any extenuating circumstances then make sure to mention it. However, poor GCSEs can be made up for with really good predictions and A levels.

Don't remember where I got this from, but I think the average successful Oxford applicant has over 8/9/10 A*s? It is an average though.

Quick Reply

Latest