Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been looking at the league tables for journalism and noticed Sheffield is the number one uni for journalism. The course I want to do is journalism studies, however I have been advised on an open day not to do journalism 'studies'.

Also, the course is not accredited by the BJTC or the NCTJ council for journalists! However the uni must be doing something right if its at the top of the league tables.
    Any current students that can give me some advice? Thank you!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Leila - great to hear you're considering a degree in journalism studies with us!

You're absolutely right that Sheffield is ranked number 1 in the UK for journalism by the Guardian university league table 2018.

You're also correct that professional accreditation is another important consideration for journalism degrees. It's a benchmark of quality which means employers know our graduates have the skills they're looking for.

The good news is that our BA Journalism Studies degree is double accredited -- by both the NCTJ and the Professional Publishers Association.

The course is entitled Journalism Studies (rather than just Journalism) because, as well as learning vital practical skills like finding and reporting stories, video editing, mobile journalism and social media, our students see the bigger picture around journalism -- why its role is so important to free, democratic societies, how to make sure your journalism is legal and ethical, and what's happening around the world in places where the freedom and safety of journalists are under attack. We want our students to think critically about the subject, and what makes good and bad journalism. We do this because we think seeing the bigger picture can make the difference between a good journalist and a great journalist.

There's more about the degree on our website (or drop us an email with your postal address, and we can send you a copy of the BA Journalism Studies course brochure for the course). We've also got an open day coming up on the 21st - if you haven't been to one yet, you can book a place here.

I hope that's helpful, but please let us know if you need anything else!

All the best,

Pete
    Communications & Marketing Officer
    Department of Journalism Studies
    University of Sheffield

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.