The Student Room Group

Will a U make a difference?

so I had a lot of hardships over my college years... I was diagnosed with long term health conditions which means im on medication for life, I had serious difficulties with my mental health and a lot of negative events happened!

I managed to get AAB in my AS levels and I am predicted AAA this year. However, got a U in another subject ... will I be completely rejected for an interview for this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shanana11x
so I had a lot of hardships over my college years... I was diagnosed with long term health conditions which means im on medication for life, I had serious difficulties with my mental health and a lot of negative events happened!

I managed to get AAB in my AS levels and I am predicted AAA this year. However, got a U in another subject ... will I be completely rejected for an interview for this?

Congratulations on your AS results.

You wouldn't be automatically rejected, no. We would suggest your referee mentions any extenuating circumstances and it looks as though you are also entitled to declare a disability through UCAS if your long-term health condition is affeting everyday living.

Good luck with your application.

Brasenose Admissions
Man, the clickbait is strong with this one. Good job, Today on TSR.

Raising people's hopes about Oxbridge redirecting to a thread about someone with a lifelong debilitation.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by CastCuraga
Man, the clickbait is strong with this one. Good job, Today on TSR.

Raising people's hopes about Oxbridge redirecting to a thread about someone with a lifelong debilitation.

If you want some hope raising I got into a Russel group uni with an E grade and no debilitating health conditions. Not quite as good as oxbridge, granted, but it's there.

Also know a lad who got an Oxbridge interview with a U in one of his further maths modules but that's maybe not quite the same... stay positive tho bois
Reply 4
Nice clickbait you moron.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
If you want some hope raising I got into a Russel group uni with an E grade and no debilitating health conditions. Not quite as good as oxbridge, granted, but it's there.

Also know a lad who got an Oxbridge interview with a U in one of his further maths modules but that's maybe not quite the same... stay positive tho bois

I might be talking out of my rear, but I think I've seen one of the representatives on here state before that a lower result in a fourth A-level won't affect one's chance of getting an offer provided the other three are up to snuff.
Original post by _gcx
I might be talking out of my rear, but I think I've seen one of the representatives on here state before that a lower result in a fourth A-level won't affect one's chance of getting an offer provided the other three are up to snuff.

Yeah fourths are irrelevant. My E was in the three, which was bad until it turned out it didn't matter.

Today on TSR definitely being baity as **** tho hecc lads
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey, I have long term health conditions as well. I got AAB in my AS levels, applied to Cambridge, and am now studying History at Cambridge University. I got A*A*A* in Year 13. As long as you work hard, you might have a chance. :smile:
The clickbait disease seems to be spreading to TSR!

The Russell Group is pretty much irrelevant for undergraduates and there are plenty of non-Russell Group universities that are better that the worse of the Russell Group ones. Congratualtions on the achievement of somehow getting into university whilst clearly missing one of your offer grades, but don't give false hope to kids.

Haha you are just showing off. Of course you can, juat drop the other su bject.
Reply 11
Why bother? The UNI system is based on ability to memorise. It likes easy assessment thus saving it's officials the need to examine more important characteristics.We have to hope that technology is being developed to provide a better way for the future. Worshiping the God of compliance may be convenient but our development has yet to move far from amoeboid existence.SincerelyDerick
If you add an I to U you'll do great things
Reply 13
Cheers D.
Reply 14
FWIW I got AAAD in my AS levels and got into Cambridge and now Oxford :smile:

What subjects and what degree?
Original post by Tower Omlette
The Russell Group is pretty much irrelevant for undergraduates and there are plenty of non-Russell Group universities that are better that the worse of the Russell Group ones. Congratualtions on the achievement of somehow getting into university whilst clearly missing one of your offer grades, but don't give false hope to kids.

The point was more about getting in despite missing the offer by a solid mile rather than the actual quality of the uni itself. Hence the "not quite as good" bit at the end there

Original post by The_Architect
What subjects and what degree?

Degree is philosophy. Offer was AAB, went BBE in philosophy, biology and maths respectively.

Degree is philosophy. Offer was AAB, went BBE in philosophy, biology and maths respectively.

Saying 'Russell Group' means nothing, fact is that oxbridge/lse/imperial are a league above pretty much everyone else, if a uni accepted you with BBE its not really a hard university to get into.
Original post by Samendra
Saying 'Russell Group' means nothing, fact is that oxbridge/lse/imperial are a league above pretty much everyone else, if a uni accepted you with BBE its not really a hard university to get into.

Man's in a thread tryna be marginally positive whilst having already accepted the fact that oxbridge isn't entirely comparable, your condescending whinge is unneeded.

it's highly likely Oxford only accept the very best a Bmabey a U not really oakley at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending