Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

he said i didn't cost much to keep happy - am i right to feel upset Watch

i've been dating this guy for a while. i was very happy with him. i never really knew if he liked me as much as i liked him. at first he seemed very into me but when hes with his friends i always feel like hes a little irritated with me being there. hes a bit of an arrogant sort, i've never minded it. he shows a sweet side with me but goes back to being his typical self when in front of his mates. i get that this is a male thing so i didn't mind it. i know from talking to his friends girlfriends that his last breakup was pretty bad on him but it was a few years ago. his ex was a glamourous girlfriend always dressing up and wearing fancy clothes. i always offer to pay my way and don't demand expensive stuff from him but accept it if he does buy me stuff (which is rare).

anyways one of his friends girlfriends told me that when they were talking to him they asked questions about what he liked about me and the first and main thing he said was 'shes cheap - i don't need to spend much of her to keep her interested'. i mean i kinda get why he'd feel happy about that, i just find it sad that 1. he referred to me as 'cheap' and 2. that was the first and main hing he mentioned about me. not shes a sweet girl, loving, i feel happy with her but oh she doesn;t need much to keep her happy. i mean - really?! i actually been crying over this for a while. i'm a good girlfriend who is loyal, i love him, support him, have been there for him, keep it fun and exciting and have given him pretty good sex and after all this this is all he can say about me?

i genuinely do feel cheap now. and hate that this is all men ever say about me, i'm never important enough for any guy to point out good qualities about me and my personality or what about me makes them happy. its always stuff like shes cheap, she easy etc. i know some girls who are super *****y to their boyfriends and yet their boyfriends always rant and rave about how amazing they are yet i'm a genuinely nice girlfriend and get nothing but unappreciation. why does no one care about me enough to appreciate me fully?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i've been dating this guy for a while. i was very happy with him. i never really knew if he liked me as much as i liked him. at first he seemed very into me but when hes with his friends i always feel like hes a little irritated with me being there. hes a bit of an arrogant sort, i've never minded it. he shows a sweet side with me but goes back to being his typical self when in front of his mates. i get that this is a male thing so i didn't mind it. i know from talking to his friends girlfriends that his last breakup was pretty bad on him but it was a few years ago. his ex was a glamourous girlfriend always dressing up and wearing fancy clothes. i always offer to pay my way and don't demand expensive stuff from him but accept it if he does buy me stuff (which is rare).

anyways one of his friends girlfriends told me that when they were talking to him they asked questions about what he liked about me and the first and main thing he said was 'shes cheap - i don't need to spend much of her to keep her interested'. i mean i kinda get why he'd feel happy about that, i just find it sad that 1. he referred to me as 'cheap' and 2. that was the first and main hing he mentioned about me. not shes a sweet girl, loving, i feel happy with her but oh she doesn;t need much to keep her happy. i mean - really?! i actually been crying over this for a while. i'm a good girlfriend who is loyal, i love him, support him, have been there for him, keep it fun and exciting and have given him pretty good sex and after all this this is all he can say about me?

i genuinely do feel cheap now. and hate that this is all men ever say about me, i'm never important enough for any guy to point out good qualities about me and my personality or what about me makes them happy. its always stuff like shes cheap, she easy etc. i know some girls who are super *****y to their boyfriends and yet their boyfriends always rant and rave about how amazing they are yet i'm a genuinely nice girlfriend and get nothing but unappreciation. why does no one care about me enough to appreciate me fully?
    I'd confront him about it, the person could've been lying to you (which is a possibility). I doubt anyone would actually say that rather than the usual "they're nice and pretty etc... " lines, as if you do say that then you seem like a **** to everyone around you.

If he admits to it then drop him no matter if it was joking or not, if he says he didn't say it, then, if he truly didn't then he'd probably confront his friend or the girl who told you. Still seems like you'd deserve better considering he doesn't treat you or anything. (Yes, that's not NEEDED but its common to treat someone you like every once in a while at least.) But yea, you have the right to feel upset if he actually said that.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Anonymous)

The phrase in your title is a lot different from your explanation. I think they mean different things or rather the second one is more difficult to excuse.

You sounds like a great gf, so perhaps you should just find someone better. Its less about the cheap, but as you point out the way he said it and because it was first. Its a bit uncomfy that came out naturally in that order .
    Look on the good side youve found out what he thinks in an unguarded way and so you dont have to spend any more time wasted on him. Save your tears for someone who is worth it and know your own value.

Its a fair point above that the person who told you may not be saying the truth.
    Its also likely that he wouldnt admit it anyway.

If you have to give him a chance but ask him to treat you better an if you dont feel more valued, then move on.

ReputationRep:
    Ask him about it first, the girlfriend could just be some b*tch who is lying so she can get rid of you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.