The Student Room Group

How do you look after your Mental Health at work?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BurstingBubbles
I'm glad they're helping a bit, I'm sure you're aware but there are things like CBT out there too which aim to help in the long run :smile: Ah yes, exercise is a good one! That's my next thing, to sign up to the gym, just feel very lethargic at the moment, need the energy to exercise to get energy :lol:

Thanks for the advice :smile: I know how you feel! The only thing motivating me right now is my mental health :lol: I use the gym as a way of taking my mind off everything and zone out and focus on my fitness :h:
I think there are always going to be idiots who are like that, but just as you shouldn't be scared to be open about sexuality, religion, and just because someone is a different race, you shouldn't hide mental health.

I think that's a very naive point of view. Perhaps in a perfect world you would be right but we are all far from perfect and I don't believe sharing your mental health problems is always advisable in the workplace.
Original post by Kevin Hodge
Thanks for the advice :smile: I know how you feel! The only thing motivating me right now is my mental health :lol: I use the gym as a way of taking my mind off everything and zone out and focus on my fitness :h:

How often do you tend to go and how long for? :smile:
Original post by Ezisola
I think that's a very naive point of view. Perhaps in a perfect world you would be right but we are all far from perfect and I don't believe sharing your mental health problems is always advisable in the workplace.

And perhaps if we changed the view of bottling things up, then we could get one step closer to how things should be - or else we feed into the stereotype and nothing will ever change and improve.
And perhaps if we changed the view of bottling things up, then we could get one step closer to how things should be - or else we feed into the stereotype and nothing will ever change and improve.

But you've made no mention of the possible repercussions. You've just encouraged people to become those martyrs without acknowledging that they may have negative responses at work. I was just pointing out what a possible negative response could be, people are then free to weigh up the risks/rewards for themselves.
Original post by Ezisola
But you've made no mention of the possible repercussions. You've just encouraged people to become those martyrs without acknowledging that they may have negative responses at work. I was just pointing out what a possible negative response could be, people are then free to weigh up the risks/rewards for themselves.

I made it clear they are my tips, I did not reference it any organisation/website etc. This thread is all about peoples's tips, and people can use them as they see fit :smile:
How often do you tend to go and how long for? :smile:

I aim to go 3-4 times a week for about 60-90 minutes :smile:
I don't get paid for a lunch break so eat it at my desk while working, but every hour or so I get up and walk up and down the corridor just so I can get a brief change of scenery and try to collect myself before returning to my desk. Not being near people helps clear my head a little. I can tell them to shut the **** up without other people hearing and realizing just how messed up I am.

Joining in with the telling them discussion: I wish I had the courage to tell someone at my work how much I'm struggling with my mental health but I don't want them to a) look down on me, b) treat me differently, c) fire me or d) give me all the really *****y tasks so I leave of my own accord. I feel so embarrassed that I'm struggling and like such a pathetic loser that even in a relatively simple job I can't do it and have taken several unpaid lunch hours to go see my psychiatrist/psychologist in just 4 weeks.
Today was very busy and ended up having a very late lunch but I made sure I took it and it helped a lot :smile: I also spoke to my boss about the headaches I’ve been having, now daily, and she was really supportive and asked me to make sure I’m having regular breaks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest