Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who was your favourite Egyptian pharaoh and why Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Ikhnaton/Akhenaton. He was a moderniser and sounds like a cool dude. According to some (although this may not be true) he also invented Monotheism, or someone in his era did and he took it up.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akhenaten

Also his queen was Nefertiti and they were kind of like a fully blinged power couple, designer chic and mega power brokers.
    Well since there aren't any signs of monotheism existing before him, I'd say it could be true. He was the first one to change a state religion from polytheism to monotheism as he moved from Veset to Ammarna.

I think he is one of the reasons why Egypt started collapsing though. All the milions of people living in Egypt believed in numerous gods, then it suddenly changed to just one and then, after few years, changed back to polytheism. That must've made a lot of people confused and they certainly started questioning the pharaohs, and, hence, started to form many smaller groups/states.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goonhoon)
    Well since there aren't any signs of monotheism existing before him, I'd say it could be true. He was the first one to change a state religion from polytheism to monotheism as he moved from Veset to Ammarna.

I think he is one of the reasons why Egypt started collapsing though. All the milions of people living in Egypt believed in numerous gods, then it suddenly changed to just one and then, after few years, changed back to polytheism. That must've made a lot of people confused and they certainly started questioning the pharaohs, and, hence, started to form many smaller groups/states.
    Egypt, like all ancient (and many modern) societies went through periodic crises of different kinds - I imagine the sudden shift to Monotheism actually developed over a while and the rulers latched onto it as part of some way of dealing with crisis. Religion has often played that role, especially when co-opted by elites.

Still, it's an intriguing puzzle and has to be one of the most interesting things that happened in the ancient world, which makes Akhie and Neffie one of the most fascinating couples of that era.

ReputationRep:
    Weneg-Nebty

crazy name, crazy ruler :ahee:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weneg_(pharaoh)

ReputationRep:
    Egypt, like all ancient (and many modern) societies went through periodic crises of different kinds - I imagine the sudden shift to Monotheism actually developed over a while and the rulers latched onto it as part of some way of dealing with crisis. Religion has often played that role, especially when co-opted by elites.

Still, it's an intriguing puzzle and has to be one of the most interesting things that happened in the ancient world, which makes Akhie and Neffie one of the most fascinating couples of that era.
    Given the fact that there were hardly any of his remainings, inscriptions, commemorative texts etc. after the end of his era, he must've been quite disliked by the public. We will never know but I don't think he was a prosperous ruler and that he only caused instability in Egypt.

ReputationRep:
    Hakor... he was famous for using codes on his Papyri & cracking the secret messages of the Nubians

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Weneg-Nebty

crazy name, crazy ruler :ahee:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weneg_(pharaoh)
    I like it that Two Ladies were involved in their rituals. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I like it that Two Ladies were involved in their rituals. :yep:
    diddlee diddlee dee

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Cleopatra, the last empress of the Egyptian Empire before the Romans annexed it. With her death the ancient Egyptian ended up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ)
    Salt Queen yas kween
    (Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel)
    Salt Queen

Call me Moses cuz I got the magic stick
    👀👀

ReputationRep:
    I've always felt like I was Cleopatra in a past life :flutter:

ReputationRep:
    also Wahankh

he sounds a bit rude nomsayin'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intef_II
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's all about Ramesses II, guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt Queen)
    👀👀
    I bring the floods to Egypt

ReputationRep:
    I bring the floods to Egypt
    Lmao be quiet?!

ReputationRep:
    Lmao be quiet?!
    I could be your Noah and you can ride on my vessel.

ReputationRep:
    I could be your Noah and you can ride on my vessel.
    Noah was Egyptian? 😄

ReputationRep:
    Noah was Egyptian? 😄
    Think of you as the Egyptian Queen and I the foreign Prince

ReputationRep:
    Ikhnaton/Akhenaton. ... According to some (although this may not be true) he also invented Monotheism...
    He didn't invent monotheism, he saw what the one true God did to all the other gods in the plagues that caused the Israelites to escape!

- - - -

I'm gonna vote for a lady, Hatshepsut, for reasons given here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    He didn't invent monotheism, he saw what the one true God did to all the other gods in the plagues that caused the Israelites to escape!
    You don't know your OT as well as you could. There are at least three versions of the One God in it and the early 'Israelites' were clearly polytheists, given that other Gods get repeatedly mentioned as possible distractions from the various One Gods.

ReputationRep:
    You don't know your OT as well as you could. There are at least three versions of the One God in it and the early 'Israelites' were clearly polytheists, given that other Gods get repeatedly mentioned as possible distractions from the various One Gods.
    Please give account of the "three versions":

(1)

(2)

(3)

Why do you put Israelites in inverted commas?

Why do you suggest I don't know that some Israelites later (or before) followed other gods?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.