Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the most useful tip you could give to a Year 11, GCSE student? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12ksmith)
    You got that natural ability by working hard learning languages from such a young age.

You then worked hard at home memorising your essays.

You only found the exam easy because of the amount of hard work you put in.
    Fair enough. But I was super lazy in lessons and I felt like I had screwed up my reading / listening tests in French (turns out I got 99% UMS). I guess I already knew more than enough. Oh and I also speak Italian and Polish fluently at home. I think I recognised a few words in the French listening because they were similar to Italian words.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    Fair enough. But I was super lazy in lessons and I felt like I had screwed up my reading / listening tests in French (turns out I got 99% UMS). I guess I already knew more than enough.
    Yeh. Probably the fact that you had started learning from such a young age. Do you mean 99 UMS?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh. Probably the fact that you had started learning from such a young age. Do you mean 99 UMS?
    Umm it was out of 300 UMS. I got something like 296/300 for French, and 286/300 for German.

ReputationRep:
    Umm it was out of 300 UMS. I got something like 296/300 for French, and 286/300 for German.
    Ah you meant all 3 exams

ReputationRep:
    Ah you meant all 3 exams
    Yea. All 6 exams (2 writing, 2 speaking, 1 listening, 1 reading. My individual scores are somewhere upstairs but I'll be getting official certificates in November.

ReputationRep:
    Yea. All 6 exams (2 writing, 2 speaking, 1 listening, 1 reading. My individual scores are somewhere upstairs but I'll be getting official certificates in November.
    Ah okay. I don’t think it matters anyway as I’m pretty sure uni’s don’t ask for UMS at GCSE. Well Done tho

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay. I don’t think it matters anyway as I’m pretty sure uni’s don’t ask for UMS at GCSE. Well Done tho
    Thanks. Sometimes exams can be all over the place. I got a 7 in English lit but I spent like 2 all nighters before each exam and expected to ace it. Turn out I aced the second paper but completely flopped the first which left me scratching my head. I think those all nighters might have saved me from getting that dreaded B Grade though. Anyway, overall I got 3 A's and 10 A*'s and I intend to take 2 extra language GCSE's this year.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Sometimes exams can be all over the place. I got a 7 in English lit but I spent like 2 all nighters before each exam. I think those all nighters might have saved me from getting that dreaded B Grade. Anyway, overall I got 3 A's and 10 A*'s and I intend to take 2 extra language GCSE's this year.
    I got 5A* 3A and 2 of those ‘dreaded B grades’ lol.
    I guess you’re doing A level languages or linguistics then...

ReputationRep:
    I got 5A* 3A and 2 of those ‘dreaded B grades’ lol.
    I guess you’re doing A level languages or linguistics then...
    Lol sorry if I sounded elitist. But no, I'm doing Maths, FM, Chemistry and Physics. Might join french but I gotta think if that's gonna impact my extracurricular stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Lol sorry if I sounded elitist. But no, I'm doing Maths, FM, Chemistry and Physics. Might join french but I gotta think if that's gonna impact my extracurricular stuff.
    Yeah, the thing is I’ve realised that in order for me to do well at something I have to actually be interested in it. I’m doing Maths, Chemistry, Biology & Physics - hoping to apply for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=12ksmith;74072184]Yeah, the thing is I’ve realised that in order for me to do well at something I have to actually be interested in it. I’m doing Maths, Chemistry, Biology

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like the standard selection, and quite a few boys are doing that combo. Good luck. I'm personally looking to apply for engineering but in keeping my options open with chemistry. French might be useful in long term employment and on my application form.
    Do girls not do that combo as well?

ReputationRep:
    Do girls not do that combo as well?
    Oh yea girls too. My school is single sex but this is the first year where girls are allowed in school (admittedly only in 6th form).

ReputationRep:
    Oh yea girls too. My school is single sex but this is the first year where girls are allowed in school (admittedly only in 6th form).
    Ohh, are you one of thooooose. I’d hate to be a girl at the sixth form of an all boys school.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh, are you one of thooooose. I’d hate to be a girl at the sixth form of an all boys school.
    It's not too bad. Sixth form expands from 120 to about 140. Because 13 people ended up leaving us in Yr11 (It's been a bad year for GCSE's) there are about 20 girls in our year.

ReputationRep:
    I knw some1 has kinda mentioned this but honestly treasure your mocks because they really made a difference to the colleges I was applying to, Its better you get a conditional space at a sixth form or college with your predicted grades rather than panicking on results day

ReputationRep:
    It's not too bad. Sixth form expands from 120 to about 140. Because 13 people ended up leaving us in Yr11 (It's been a bad year for GCSE's) there are about 20 girls in our year.
    13 people leaving is a bad year 😂 Honestly, what do you think you would’ve achieved if you had attended a state school?

ReputationRep:
    13 people leaving is a bad year 😂 Honestly, what do you think you would’ve achieved if you had attended a state school?
    I'd have done God awfully. Probably mostly B's and C's with a few A's. I do badly with bad teachers. There was a biology teacher in Year 8 who was really dull and I literally couldn't get beyond 67%... I even got 33% in one of my tests. I needed someone who feels proud when I've written a few thousand words of coursework. Of course that won't happen anymore at A-Level... I'm on my own now.

ReputationRep:
    I'd have done God awfully. Probably mostly B's and C's with a few A's. I do badly with bad teachers. There was a biology teacher in Year 8 who was really dull and I literally couldn't get beyond 67%... I even got 33% in one of my tests. I needed someone who feels proud when I've written a few thousand words of coursework. Of course that won't happen anymore at A-Level... I'm on my own now.
    I have a friend who goes to a really high achieving private school. From what I can tell the pressure & average quality of teachers is much greater. Don’t get me wrong, there are some great teachers in state schools - but there are REALLY are some poor ones.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=12ksmith;74073072]I have a friend who goes to a really high achieving private school. From what I can tell the pressure

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.