Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    if you got an empirical ratio of say 1 to 1.5 would you round up to 1 to 2 or times both by 2 for 2 to 3. how do you know when to round and when to times for example if it were 1 to 2.44 or 1 to 1.64 how would you know what to do?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Times 1 to 1.5 by 2 to get 2 to 3 since the definition of empirical formula is the whole number ratio. I think if it rounds closer to 1.5 then you multiply but when its closer to a whole number (like 1 to 1.81) then round to 1 to 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonjoshelvey21)
    if you got an empirical ratio of say 1 to 1.5 would you round up to 1 to 2 or times both by 2 for 2 to 3. how do you know when to round and when to times for example if it were 1 to 2.44 or 1 to 1.64 how would you know what to do?
    I agree with Spidle, double the values to get 2:3.

For your other examples, look for factors that may give you other ratios.
    2.44 is close to 2.5. Double both to get a ratio that is likely 2 : 5.
    1:1.64 ? I would suggest multiplying both by 3 to get a ratio of close to 3 : 5

The ratios you get in exams will usually be very close to an exact ratio. Look for the factor that makes the ratio work.

ReputationRep:
    thank you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.