Turn on thread page Beta

Grammar school maths is too much pressure watch

ReputationRep:
    So I go to a grammar school and the pressure is driving me crazy. I want to take maths, fm, physics and chemistry at a level, I'm predicted 8 level 8s and one 7 in history, but I had a maths test a few days ago and I got like 68% which was a 6a and my teacher has spent the past 3 days telling me how awful I've done and how 'abysmal and failing' I am and I'm not okay with this. I messed up on like 2 questions at the end where is used the wrong trig rule, but now I'm really doubting myself and I don't know what to do.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    leave the school if you can, grammar schools are just a name and added pressure. if not, idk what u can do. i was at a grammar and left asap in year 7 bc i became depressed (suicidal, even) due to the workload

ReputationRep:
    Wow your teacher sounds pretty terrible. Work hard and you'll do fine in the real thing. I've gotten 68% and below in numerous tests before and it's never stopped me getting top grades lol. Definitely do get the trig rules and values totally sorted out though :P. Also if you don't like the atmosphere then maybe apply to a less selective sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caspian&anakin)
    So I go to a grammar school and the pressure is driving me crazy. I want to take maths, fm, physics and chemistry at a level, I'm predicted 8 level 8s and one 7 in history, but I had a maths test a few days ago and I got like 68% which was a 6a and my teacher has spent the past 3 days telling me how awful I've done and how 'abysmal and failing' I am and I'm not okay with this. I messed up on like 2 questions at the end where is used the wrong trig rule, but now I'm really doubting myself and I don't know what to do.
    Sounds as if your teacher isn't helping you focus on success. I recommend you read a book by Carol Dweck called Mindset. It demonstrates that we do well by keeping on trying and letting ourselves learn from mistakes instead of beating ourselves up. There was also an amazing speaker I saw on YouTube, Sean Stephenson, who said "Don't believe any prediction about you unless it empowers you" Yes, doing those 4 A-levels will be hard work. You are the one who knows whether you're willing to put in the effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caspian&anakin)
    The pressure is there to make you good. Btw 6=b

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 9, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.