Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I've just got one exam coming up in three and a half days. Still taking notes and learning from the lectures, as I am due to sit this exam from Mitigating Circumstances.

I am having some difficulties in studying at home. This has mostly to do with my dad and my brother constantly making noise. Whenever I'm doing my work in the living room, my dad won't stop talking to himself and I've gotta always tell him to stop until he continues again. It's hard focusing on the revision, when I could anticipate him doing something this annoying again.

My older brother on the other hand keep playing his TV loud in the evenings or close to night and every time I'd tell him to lower the volume, he would just yell at me and start a fight. It's very annoying. I'd also expect him to turn the TV on at any moment I'm concentrating. I would opt to using the university library but sometimes I feel as if I'd be wasting time just going there and then coming back, as I live off-campus. Any advise would be great

EDIT: Apologies if wrong section.

ReputationRep:
    go to a nearby cafe or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_student_69)
    Hey guys, I've just got one exam coming up in three and a half days. Still taking notes and learning from the lectures, as I am due to sit this exam from Mitigating Circumstances.

I am having some difficulties in studying at home. This has mostly to do with my dad and my brother constantly making noise. Whenever I'm doing my work in the living room, my dad won't stop talking to himself and I've gotta always tell him to stop until he continues again. It's hard focusing on the revision, when I could anticipate him doing something this annoying again.

My older brother on the other hand keep playing his TV loud in the evenings or close to night and every time I'd tell him to lower the volume, he would just yell at me and start a fight. It's very annoying. I'd also expect him to turn the TV on at any moment I'm concentrating. I would opt to using the university library but sometimes I feel as if I'd be wasting time just going there and then coming back, as I live off-campus. Any advise would be great

EDIT: Apologies if wrong section.
    You might want to get past the 'wasted journey' thing. I live with my parents, about 30 miles off campus, and when I needed concentration at exam time and dissertation time, I tended to stay in University later until work was done, and I traveled on weekends. The importance of having a proper study environment supersedes the nuisance of travelling in. I learned this the hard way when I was doing undergraduate, I was in a similar position to you. By third and fourth year, I was working late at uni regularly instead of studying at home.

For all the time it'll be, it's worth travelling to find a study place that works for you. Try to calmly broach the importance of these exams and university to your family at a time you're not studying. I'd also recommend a good set of noise cancellation headphones, and play quiet background sound/ambient sound. Should help mute out external sounds.

Best of luck with your exam when it comes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.