Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Since my last post I have been thinking about applying for a masters next year as opposed to depending on applying for full time grad schemes. If i took a masters I would also be able to apply for internships before it is too late!

Quick background:
    - Graduated from a good RG uni with a low 2:1 in economics and politics.
    - No Direct relevant work experience
    - Year abroad as part of course

Based on this what uni's would be attainable for a masters? I don't expect to get onto MSc finance at LSE or Oxbridge, but what target unis would still be realistically achievable? I also live in Manchester and would consider manchester business school as I believe they are a semi target?

All opinions welcome

ReputationRep:
    oxbridge / lse / lbs / imperial / ucl / warwick buddy

ReputationRep:
    Would I even have a chance applying even if i got a low 2:1? Equally would it matter greatly what course it was?

ReputationRep:
    Any other advice?

ReputationRep:
    Can't give you real advice as I don't know the answers myself, but you can apply for both grad schemes and internships and see what/if offers come through. You will likely have to clarify with some employers that you do intend to take another year of study when applying for summer internships, as most are rather insistent that you be in your final year of study (if you weren't aware).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AssetLurker)
    Since my last post I have been thinking about applying for a masters next year as opposed to depending on applying for full time grad schemes. If i took a masters I would also be able to apply for internships before it is too late!

Quick background:
    - Graduated from a good RG uni with a low 2:1 in economics and politics.
    - No Direct relevant work experience
    - Year abroad as part of course

Based on this what uni's would be attainable for a masters? I don't expect to get onto MSc finance at LSE or Oxbridge, but what target unis would still be realistically achievable? I also live in Manchester and would consider manchester business school as I believe they are a semi target?

All opinions welcome
    Your biggest concern right now should be getting some work experience. From what I've seen, the MSc is only really utilised if you have relevant experience that can back it up. I've seen some guys going into an MSc but failing to break into their chosen career because their experience was lacking. Likewise getting an investments grad scheme without a summer internship somewhere else is pretty hard too. So getting some form of internship exp will be your main priority. The MSc can then build on that, or you could choose to apply straight to grad programmes afterwards. Which of these two options you choose depends on 1) how good of a RG was the uni you went to? Was it a Camb/UCL? a Durham/Nottingham/Edinburgh? Or a Queen Mary/Liverpool? If it's the first, then you'd probably be good to go applying straight for grad schemes. If it's the second group, it's a toss-up, if it's the third group, a MSc would be a good idea IMO. Also bear in mind that the MSc would enable you to build some knowledge which should be helpful. As for which MSc programmes - I think Cass and UCL are immediately accessible. Both would be better picks than Manchester (which is good in its own right). LBS and Imperial are possible with a good GMAT and career statement respectively. LSE - I'd apply regardless, though I'd aim for one of the less competitive programmes and ensure you get a fantastic academic reference and write up a great personal statement.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.