Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

One Models-are they professionals? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I applied on few modelling sites and they all contacted me today. One Models called me and said that if I am coming on the appointment I need to pay 50 pounds and that deposit is refundable. I paid to them for this Saturday in London. Another agency has contacted me and said that One Models is fake agency and that I will need to pay them 500 pounds for portofolio, but this agency requires 300 pounds refundable deposit and they will make me portofolio and a training with one famous model. Now I don't know what to do...any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senea94)
    Hi!
    I applied on few modelling sites and they all contacted me today. One Models called me and said that if I am coming on the appointment I need to pay 50 pounds and that deposit is refundable. I paid to them for this Saturday in London. Another agency has contacted me and said that One Models is fake agency and that I will need to pay them 500 pounds for portofolio, but this agency requires 300 pounds refundable deposit and they will make me portofolio and a training with one famous model. Now I don't know what to do...any advice?
    Yeah be very careful with this sort of thing. To me both sound like scams.

Just going on websites is not a credible way of deeming whether an organisation is genuine or not. Usually one has personal experience with a friend or someone they know well that has been employed by an organisation before they would be willing to invest money into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Yeah be very careful with this sort of thing. To me both sound like scams.

Just going on websites is not a credible way of deeming whether an organisation is genuine or not. Usually one has personal experience with a friend or someone they know well that has been employed by an organisation before they would be willing to invest money into it.
    Yes, I understand. It's just when I see all these sites, I don't know which one is professional or scam. The second agency also sent me a link of the company they work with and a portofolio of a model which should be working with me. That sounds little bit more professional, but I really don't know...

ReputationRep:
    Call the police because the first 'agency' has scammed you. How did you pay? If by card call your bank and get a refund.

ReputationRep:
    I paid with card. Who should I call first?
    And what with another agency?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I understand. It's just when I see all these sites, I don't know which one is professional or scam. The second agency also sent me a link of the company they work with and a portofolio of a model which should be working with me. That sounds little bit more professional, but I really don't know...
    Please reread my post. Trying to work out whether it is a scam or not can not be done by looking at the websites (and definitely not by communication with them).

This is why you must always assume it is a scam until you have a credible guarantee by someone you know well (not from the company).

ReputationRep:
    I paid with card. Who should I call first?
    And what with another agency?
    Never pay a company to work for them. If they are that sure they can get you gigs then tell them to deduct their fees from your first pay cheque

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I understood. Thanks for your help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.