Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Things you can do to boost your mental wellbeing over lunch! Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

October 10 is World Mental Health Day

and the theme for this year is 'Workplace Wellbeing' - how to maintain a good level of mental wellbeing whilst at work (or school, college or uni!)

We know that it can get quite busy in the workplace at times, and that sometimes mental wellbeing can take a bit of a slide - but today is about finding time to do things that'll give your mind a rest, and what better time than over lunch? :cookie:

No matter how long or short your lunch break may be, we've got some activities that are sure to act as a pick-me-up!

If you've got 5 minutes...
    • Do nothing for two minutes - This is literally as easy as it sounds. You can take a couple of minutes to relax yourself and listen to the sound of waves crashing :daydreaming: Oh, and if you touch your keyboard or mouse you'll have to start again find it here!
    • Make a cup of tea - If you're partial to a nice cup of the great British beverage then why not take a few minutes aside, put the kettle on and kick back with a cuppa! To make it really relaxing, try a herbal tea, something like chamomile tea is known for its relaxing properties! (Make sure to be wary of caffeine though as it can make anxiety worse!)
    • Listen to music that relaxes you - This could be anything that you've found helpful in the past, or just sticking the radio on for example and seeing what comes on. Alternatively, this song has been shown to reduce anxiety by up to 65% (it's a little longer than 5 minutes though! )

How about 15?
    • Take a "Try Not To Laugh" challenge - While these videos may have been around for years and years, they're still really popular and can be a very good distraction! And also, trying not to laugh makes you more likely to laugh - which in turn is more likely to boost your mood Take your pick here!
    • Do some breathing exercises - There's a lot of information around about how just changing your breathing patterns can have a significant impact on your state of relaxation. Trying a few breathing exercises and seeing which ones work for you could be very beneficial - and perhaps relieve some stress Here are 6 exercises you can try!
    • Consider starting a gratitude journal - A gratitude journal is somewhere you can write down 5 things you're grateful for that day, and can read back over during times where you're struggling to feel appreciative or thankful of things. Of course, writing the journal can be very liberating in itself too Here's how to get started!

Half an hour to spare?
    • Go for a relaxing walk - whether this is just around your school grounds, uni campus or you've got a bigger area to explore - going outside and having a bit of a stroll around can be fantastic for clearing your head and allowing you to think about things (maybe better in the summer than the winter though!). You can use this website to plan a random walk near you and set off on your way Take your headphones for music too if you like!
    • Try a bit of yoga - Yoga is well known for its relaxing nature - and most of it doesn't require any equipment whatsoever (aside from maybe a soft surface ) so you can do it wherever you are! Here's a video that starts from the very basics - why not give it a whirl if you can?
    • Call a friend or family member for a chit chat - While this one won't be for everyone, it can be really nice just to have a catch up with a good friend, or a parent/sibling etc now and then. Ask how they've been, what they've got up to recently... just make good conversation!

Fancy setting more time aside?
    If you're lucky enough to get around an hour off for lunch, here are some more lengthy activities that are sure to provide a nice boost to your day!
    • Play a sport - some places (such as schools and perhaps unis too) offer sports clubs over lunch - exercise is great for relieving stress and just having a bit of a laugh
    • Catch up on a show you missed - Only if you're allowed to of course!! Sometimes it can be very relaxing to just sit down in front of your favourite show for a while - so if you're a bit behind, why not use some of your (very long ) lunch break to get a bit caught up? :dontknow:
    • Watch this Google Talk on the Science of Mindfulness - don't really need to say much more than this, here's the link!

Let us know if you tried any of these things and if they made a difference to your afternoon! And if you've got any other activities that you find helpful when you're feeling a bit under the weather then shout about those as well

Oh and don't forget - it is lunch time after all, make sure you have something good to eat

Check out the other threads for today too!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protostar)

October 10 is World Mental Health Day

and the theme for this year is 'Workplace Wellbeing' - how to maintain a good level of mental wellbeing whilst at work (or school, college or uni!)

We know that it can get quite busy in the workplace at times, and that sometimes mental wellbeing can take a bit of a slide - but today is about finding time to do things that'll give your mind a rest, and what better time than over lunch? :cookie:

No matter how long or short your lunch break may be, we've got some activities that are sure to act as a pick-me-up!

If you've got 5 minutes...
    • Do nothing for two minutes - This is literally as easy as it sounds. You can take a couple of minutes to relax yourself and listen to the sound of waves crashing :daydreaming: Oh, and if you touch your keyboard or mouse you'll have to start again find it here!
    • Make a cup of tea - If you're partial to a nice cup of the great British beverage then why not take a few minutes aside, put the kettle on and kick back with a cuppa! To make it really relaxing, try a herbal tea, something like chamomile tea is known for its relaxing properties! (Make sure to be wary of caffeine though as it can make anxiety worse!)
    • Listen to music that relaxes you - This could be anything that you've found helpful in the past, or just sticking the radio on for example and seeing what comes on. Alternatively, this song has been shown to reduce anxiety by up to 65% (it's a little longer than 5 minutes though! )

How about 15?
    • Take a "Try Not To Laugh" challenge - While these videos may have been around for years and years, they're still really popular and can be a very good distraction! And also, trying not to laugh makes you more likely to laugh - which in turn is more likely to boost your mood Take your pick here!
    • Do some breathing exercises - There's a lot of information around about how just changing your breathing patterns can have a significant impact on your state of relaxation. Trying a few breathing exercises and seeing which ones work for you could be very beneficial - and perhaps relieve some stress Here are 6 exercises you can try!
    • Consider starting a gratitude journal - A gratitude journal is somewhere you can write down 5 things you're grateful for that day, and can read back over during times where you're struggling to feel appreciative or thankful of things. Of course, writing the journal can be very liberating in itself too Here's how to get started!

Half an hour to spare?
    • Go for a relaxing walk - whether this is just around your school grounds, uni campus or you've got a bigger area to explore - going outside and having a bit of a stroll around can be fantastic for clearing your head and allowing you to think about things (maybe better in the summer than the winter though!). You can use this website to plan a random walk near you and set off on your way Take your headphones for music too if you like!
    • Try a bit of yoga - Yoga is well known for its relaxing nature - and most of it doesn't require any equipment whatsoever (aside from maybe a soft surface ) so you can do it wherever you are! Here's a video that starts from the very basics - why not give it a whirl if you can?
    • Call a friend or family member for a chit chat - While this one won't be for everyone, it can be really nice just to have a catch up with a good friend, or a parent/sibling etc now and then. Ask how they've been, what they've got up to recently... just make good conversation!

Fancy setting more time aside?
    If you're lucky enough to get around an hour off for lunch, here are some more lengthy activities that are sure to provide a nice boost to your day!
    • Play a sport - some places (such as schools and perhaps unis too) offer sports clubs over lunch - exercise is great for relieving stress and just having a bit of a laugh
    • Catch up on a show you missed - Only if you're allowed to of course!! Sometimes it can be very relaxing to just sit down in front of your favourite show for a while - so if you're a bit behind, why not use some of your (very long ) lunch break to get a bit caught up? :dontknow:
    • Watch this Google Talk on the Science of Mindfulness - don't really need to say much more than this, here's the link!

Let us know if you tried any of these things and if they made a difference to your afternoon! And if you've got any other activities that you find helpful when you're feeling a bit under the weather then shout about those as well

Oh and don't forget - it is lunch time after all, make sure you have something good to eat

Check out the other threads for today too!
    Really useful for getting through the day - I find myself sticking my earphones in, blocking out the sound of students in the library and listening to Football Heaven catch ups on BBC radio Sheffield.

Other times I watch clips of things that are funny w.g. Mock The Week - laughter really does make you feel better sometime. Just make sure you aren't having lunch with your workmates while doing this!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
    Really useful for getting through the day - I find myself sticking my earphones in, blocking out the sound of students in the library and listening to Football Heaven catch ups on BBC radio Sheffield.

Other times I watch clips of things that are funny w.g. Mock The Week - laughter really does make you feel better sometime. Just make sure you aren't having lunch with your workmates while doing this!
    Love these :yep: totally agree with the funny clips one, I tend to watch short stand-up snippets when I'm in need of a good chuckle every now and then
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    'If you're partial to a nice cup of the great British beverage' :lol:

I really can't get over how good thing thread is. It's so, so important to look after yourself mentally and as this thread shows, it super easy to do - just taking a 5 minute break away from where you're working can refresh your mind.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to just mention an app that was introduced to me very recenty. It's called Stop Breathe Think:
    https://www.stopbreathethink.com/ . You can search it on App Stores and get it on your phone too. It has brief meditation-type things. I'm not really into mindfulness breathing or meditation apps but I've listened to two of the meditations (one was 6 mins, the other was 9) and it was actually really helpful and thought-provoking
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I'd like to just mention an app that was introduced to me very recenty. It's called Stop Breathe Think:
    https://www.stopbreathethink.com/ . You can search it on App Stores and get it on your phone too. It has brief meditation-type things. I'm not really into mindfulness breathing or meditation apps but I've listened to two of the meditations (one was 6 mins, the other was 9) and it was actually really helpful and thought-provoking
    I heard about this from a YouTube video I watched the other day - will download it in a bit i think
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protostar)
    I heard about this from a YouTube video I watched the other day - will download it in a bit i think
    Do try it! I quite like it because you can 'check in' your physical and mental health, as well as tick emotions that you are feeling atm, and then it suggests short-ish meditations based on how you're feeling that day :yep:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.