Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worried about Maths and laziness.Please I need some advice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've started year 10 and so far each passing day I'm getting more and more unmotivated to study and more worried about tests.
    Maths - I'm really worried about my maths skills plus in year 10 I've been moved to the higher set(never been in the higher set before so I'm worried I'll move down after the first end of term test) so my plan is to try practice papers and practice *but* I'm too much of a lazy bum and I really don't want to risk moving down because of my laziness. I can't ask my teacher for help because in the end he doesn't explain well enough (plus leaves halfway through explaining and never comes back) and always every single time brings down my self esteem when he says "really? You should know this stuff already. I think you shouldn't be in this set you belong in the middle set" tbh I actual agree with him (he's being honest and probably saying the truth)but I still want to try hard and stay in that set because I can luckily understand most of the stuff because of my friend who explains but I don't want to keep asking for their help. I want to be able to help them.

Getting straight to the point, I want to and *need* to improve on my maths skills but I'm really unmotivated plus really lazy. Is there some trick to force myself to do a past paper? Or how can I actually understand the subject and enjoy it please? Really sorry for wasting anyone's time- it was mainly just a rant that was meant to be a question. Please I just need any tips to improve on maths.

ReputationRep:
    For Year 10 I would probably recommend that you try at practice papers, maybe try setting deadlines that you would have to follow. Try creating targets, if you cant do maths papers then try setting a few questions every day/week for yourself to do instead of doing full papers. As for understanding the subject practice is probably the best way. You could try videos explaining topics. Try getting ahead on the topics you do in lessons at home so that what you do at school acts on revision.
    I guess its still important to ask if you do get stuck. Maybe if you don't want to ask your teacher then try asking family or consider tutoring to fill in any gaps.
    Good Luck :proud:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 98701)
    For Year 10 I would probably recommend that you try at practice papers, maybe try setting deadlines that you would have to follow. Try creating targets, if you cant do maths papers then try setting a few questions every day/week for yourself to do instead of doing full papers. As for understanding the subject practice is probably the best way. You could try videos explaining topics. Try getting ahead on the topics you do in lessons at home so that what you do at school acts on revision.
    I guess its still important to ask if you do get stuck. Maybe if you don't want to ask your teacher then try asking family or consider tutoring to fill in any gaps.
    Good Luck :proud:
    Thank you so much! I'll try this out and hope for the best
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.