Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've been looking at some potential choices and I've been wondering what is the perfect course length. 3 years, 4 years or 5??
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texxers)
    So I've been looking at some potential choices and I've been wondering what is the perfect course length. 3 years, 4 years or 5??
    Are you talking about BEng, MEng, degrees with placement years, or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Are you talking about BEng, MEng, degrees with placement years, or what?
    Just in general. I've already put down a mixture but regardless of the type of course, what is the optimum number of years to stay in a uni is what I'm asking.

ReputationRep:
    Can you not see why that's a meaningless question?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you want to do - that's why there are different lengths! If you're not sure, I'd go with 3 years first and then you can always decide to do more afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sint)
    It depends on what you want to do - that's why there are different lengths! If you're not sure, I'd go with 3 years first and then you can always decide to do more afterwards.
    Actually, it's usually easier to drop down from an MEng to a BEng.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texxers)
    Just in general. I've already put down a mixture but regardless of the type of course, what is the optimum number of years to stay in a uni is what I'm asking.
    The optimum number of years depends on the qualification you want to achieve.

It is what it is. If you want a MEng it takes 4 years. If you want to add a YINI then it's 5. If you just want a BEng without YINi then it's 3.

What do *you* want?

And as noted it's easier to apply for the "longer" course and then drop down if you decide you want to stop sooner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.