Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know how to make friends. Watch

So my current friend group is bassicly falling apart and we met by chance while living in college and that's how we became friends.

But now, I don't know what to do, I've tried joining societies and sports but I'm a shot talker, so I don't form bonds and don't get to join any social circles.

Help me

ReputationRep:
    I’m the same, I can’t make friends. If you want to talk feel free to pm me

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i've struggled with the same problem myself. I find the best thing is to try and push yourself out your comfort zone and talk to people you wouldn't usually speak to, even if you just make an observation or tell them some news its one way of gradualky improving a relationship. you could also meet someone entirely new, try joining a club of some sort. I myself have started going to a sports club recently and have found my confidence has really been boosted and I've already made some new friends. Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    Hey!!

I had this problem a LOT, and still kinda do. I think it's easy to underestimate just how hard it is for some people to make friends.

One thing I was told (I don't know whether she was right or not, but it changed my mindset) was that if you lack a lot of confidence, you become so overwhelmed by your worries and thoughts of what the other person is thinking of you that you can't focus on the other person and so conversations become very difficult. So definitely trying to improve your confidence is a good start - easier said than done, I know, but one thing you can do is make a list of things you like about yourself, and remind yourself of these before you have a conversation with someone. If you really can't find anything you like about yourself, make a list of things you want to change about yourself, and try to work towards those things.

My biggest tip, though? Just start a conversation, with absolutely ANYONE. If you're uncomfortable approaching people, try to go for someone on their own (who likely is in the exact same position as yourself). I remember when I first started doing this and I couldn't always get myself to approach someone. That's okay if you can't, either. It takes time, this kind of thing. But push yourself. Make yourself a challenge (I went for one person a week). At the bus stop with someone? Start a conversation. Sat next to someone in class? Start a conversation. See someone stood on their own? Start a conversation. After all, there are people everywhere.

For actual conversation, a good idea is to have a couple of things beforehand to say. I usually go for the 5 W's : who, what, where, when, why? For example, who are you? What subjects are you doing/what do you like to do? Where are you from? When and why are a bit trickier, but hopefully you'll delve into a conversation before you get to them. LISTEN - I can not stress enough how important listening is in conversations. People love talking about what they love; they mention they're doing History? Funny that you knew someone who studied History! (I can not imagine the number of times I've mentioned that "someone I used to know" liked something they did - there's no proof they don't actually exist, and it usually dives into a deeper convo, or at least more things to say, to that person). Obviously, if you do actually know someone who did History (or whatever they mention), all the better. Ask questions about it (this makes interests a really good starter for conversations). Don't go too deep, though - it'd be pretty startling if you were casually talking about the weather, and then someone asks you how you felt when your grandparent died.

Another thing - don't be afraid of rejection. It's not a secret that there are just some douchebags out there, and if you come across someone who isn't willing to talk to you without a valid reason, don't worry - they were probably an ******* anyway. And besides, talking to people is a skill - how else are you gonna learn if you don't try?

Hope that's useful - I totally rambled my face off, but I felt the need to share what I know, just because I know how difficult it is. Of course, feel free to PM me, too. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    lol same.

I hardly do anything social though. I get bored fast when I'm out with people unless theres an exciting activity going on. cus of muh ADHD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So my current friend group is bassicly falling apart and we met by chance while living in college and that's how we became friends.

But now, I don't know what to do, I've tried joining societies and sports but I'm a shot talker, so I don't form bonds and don't get to join any social circles.
    Same

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.