Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do I have to get a job whilst I'm at uni? I'm not sure if I'm personally capable of balancing a job and uni work. So will my loans get me through or is it a necessity?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Up to you really. As a first year you could find a part time job for some extra cash

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on how much you decide to spend each week and how much you receive from the government. I get the full £8,430 a year because my family is poor af plus a bursary from my university, and I'm only spending around £40-50 a week at the moment so I don't need a part time job. I'm thinking of getting one in the future though, as any kind of work looks good to a prospective employer, as it shows you can balance both study and work.

So it's really your choice, just assess how much money you get from loans then make a budget and see how much you have per week

ReputationRep:
    How much of a maintenance loan will you be receiving? You haven't specified anything

ReputationRep:
    Depends on a number of factors, e.g.
    1. How much loan are you getting?
    2. How much (if anything) are you getting from your parents?
    3. How much is your rent?
    4. What is the cost of living like in your university city?
    5. What sort of lifestyle do you want to have at university, e.g. do you want to go out a lot?

Try creating a budget for university and see where that leaves you.
    If you are worried about money and balancing a job and uni you could try getting a job over the summer holidays (both before you go to uni and while you are at uni).

ReputationRep:
    depends on how much money you have vs. how much you need... lots of people have more than enough money without working and some people would never survive financially without working
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HKML1999)
    Do I have to get a job whilst I'm at uni? I'm not sure if I'm personally capable of balancing a job and uni work. So will my loans get me through or is it a necessity?
    Hey,

You don't have to get a job - the decision is yours! However, having a part-time job whilst you're in Uni can help you develop your organization and time management skills. It also can be a huge help if your loans don't cover everything that you have to pay out for.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    An easy and independent way of money (as well as getting very fit very fast) is working for Deliveroo. It helped me massively when I was a broke student in my first year haha!! You don't need a CV or interview - you just fill out an online form and you're good to go! Definitely worth a try - you also get to pick the hours too. Use my referral code JO128665 - would help me out hugely and I'd be happy to share the money too! D

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.