Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm applying for Oxford this year for Compsci and I obviously have to sit the MAT, I've been practicing some past papers since the middle of September. The highest I've gotten is low 60s so I obviously improvement.

1. What score do people who typically at least get an interview get? What score should I really be aiming for?
    2. What's the best way to do/practice for question 7? It tends to be a bit hit and miss for me but I can never get 15 marks
    3. Any advice on exam technique?

I saw average scores on the website but those averages are for people who apply for Maths and I can't find anything Compsci to give myself a baseline. Anything would be appreciated ^^

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kousei)
    I saw average scores on the website but those averages are for people who apply for Maths and I can't find anything Compsci to give myself a baseline. Anything would be appreciated ^^
    The 2016 gives average scores for both Maths and Maths+CompSci (i.e. Q12345 vs Q12356) and they are virtually identical (all differences < 1%). I would very much doubt you'll see significant changes for the pure CompSci results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kousei)
    Okay so I'm applying for Oxford this year for Compsci and I obviously have to sit the MAT, I've been practicing some past papers since the middle of September. The highest I've gotten is low 60s so I obviously improvement.

1. What score do people who typically at least get an interview get? What score should I really be aiming for?
    It varies from year to year, depending on the difficulty of the MAT. Last year, most candidates with a score over 60 were shortlisted; and few with a score below 40 were shortlisted. We have a "discretionary band", where we consider much more than just the MAT score, in particular educational background; this corresponded to roughly 40-60 last year.

2. What's the best way to do/practice for question 7? It tends to be a bit hit and miss for me but I can never get 15 marks
    That's a slightly vague question. As with most things, practice helps. Don't worry about not getting full marks: not many candidates do. Of course, you could try asking here about specific questions that you found difficult.

3. Any advice on exam technique?
    Some obvious things: read the question carefully; do plenty of practice papers; think a bit about timing.

Gavin

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 12, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.