Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm applying for Oxford this year for Compsci and I obviously have to sit the MAT, I've been practicing some past papers since the middle of September. The highest I've gotten is low 60s so I obviously improvement.

1. What score do people who typically at least get an interview get? What score should I really be aiming for?
    2. What's the best way to do/practice for question 7? It tends to be a bit hit and miss for me but I can never get 15 marks
    3. Any advice on exam technique?

I saw average scores on the website but those averages are for people who apply for Maths and I can't find anything Compsci to give myself a baseline. Anything would be appreciated ^^

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kousei)
    I saw average scores on the website but those averages are for people who apply for Maths and I can't find anything Compsci to give myself a baseline. Anything would be appreciated ^^
    The 2016 gives average scores for both Maths and Maths+CompSci (i.e. Q12345 vs Q12356) and they are virtually identical (all differences < 1%). I would very much doubt you'll see significant changes for the pure CompSci results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kousei)
    Okay so I'm applying for Oxford this year for Compsci and I obviously have to sit the MAT, I've been practicing some past papers since the middle of September. The highest I've gotten is low 60s so I obviously improvement.

1. What score do people who typically at least get an interview get? What score should I really be aiming for?
    It varies from year to year, depending on the difficulty of the MAT. Last year, most candidates with a score over 60 were shortlisted; and few with a score below 40 were shortlisted. We have a "discretionary band", where we consider much more than just the MAT score, in particular educational background; this corresponded to roughly 40-60 last year.

2. What's the best way to do/practice for question 7? It tends to be a bit hit and miss for me but I can never get 15 marks
    That's a slightly vague question. As with most things, practice helps. Don't worry about not getting full marks: not many candidates do. Of course, you could try asking here about specific questions that you found difficult.

3. Any advice on exam technique?
    Some obvious things: read the question carefully; do plenty of practice papers; think a bit about timing.

Gavin

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.