Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a second year Biology student and I'm miserable at uni.

I didn't have the best first year, I started off doing Biology and Biochemistry and biochem was THE WORST. I didn't enjoy it after the first few weeks but as I didn't have alternative route in mind, I stayed til Christmas. Then I 'just sat' my January exams, which I passed. And it's kind of gone along like that, just existing at uni and sitting exams and submitting assignments. My hearts never been in it and I scraped by on the bare minimum.

Over Summer, I switched to single honours bio in hope I'd finally get a module that interests me but a few weeks in, I'm bored out of my skull, none of the subject content is interesting or makes much sense. Part of me says I should just suck it up, no one enjoys what they're doing all the time. But part of me says no one should be doing something they really don't enjoy.

I enjoy the living away from home, having more independence etc. but uni life like studying, partying and the rest just never clicked for me. I know people often feel reluctant to go to 9 ams but I have to force myself to go to the lectures I do go to! I feel like I did A-levels (which I didn't enjoy) just to get to uni (which I don't enjoy) so this method of 'just sticking it out' doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere I like.

Should I 'just stick out' the next 2 years or would it be worth dropping out now? Obviously uni has it's perks (3 month summer) and change doesn't always mean you'll be happier. Sometimes you have to make the most of what you've got.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PollyParrot23)
    I'm a second year Biology student and I'm miserable at uni.

I didn't have the best first year, I started off doing Biology and Biochemistry and biochem was THE WORST. I didn't enjoy it after the first few weeks but as I didn't have alternative route in mind, I stayed til Christmas. Then I 'just sat' my January exams, which I passed. And it's kind of gone along like that, just existing at uni and sitting exams and submitting assignments. My hearts never been in it and I scraped by on the bare minimum.

Over Summer, I switched to single honours bio in hope I'd finally get a module that interests me but a few weeks in, I'm bored out of my skull, none of the subject content is interesting or makes much sense. Part of me says I should just suck it up, no one enjoys what they're doing all the time. But part of me says no one should be doing something they really don't enjoy.

I enjoy the living away from home, having more independence etc. but uni life like studying, partying and the rest just never clicked for me. I know people often feel reluctant to go to 9 ams but I have to force myself to go to the lectures I do go to! I feel like I did A-levels (which I didn't enjoy) just to get to uni (which I don't enjoy) so this method of 'just sticking it out' doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere I like.

Should I 'just stick out' the next 2 years or would it be worth dropping out now? Obviously uni has it's perks (3 month summer) and change doesn't always mean you'll be happier. Sometimes you have to make the most of what you've got.

What do you think?
    Have you considered a gap year? It sounds to me like you are having trouble finding your ‘purpose’ (how cringe to say!). Maybe it’s best for you to take some time off from full time study and explore something different, whether that be travelling or something else.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie7868)
    Have you considered a gap year? It sounds to me like you are having trouble finding your ‘purpose’ (how cringe to say!). Maybe it’s best for you to take some time off from full time study and explore something different, whether that be travelling or something else.
    Haha that is maybe a little cringe but I know what you mean. Like it's hard to focus on something when you don't have an end goal or any passion and I've just dort of gone GCSEs - Alevels - Uni with no break. And I had this crisis at every stage of my education!

ReputationRep:
    It helps if you enjoy being at uni, but I personally just see it as a means to an end. How valuable will a Biology degree be to you in the future? I recommend sticking with it if you really want/need the degree, otherwise drop out and try to find something else you're passionate about. A degree you won't use can be pretty worthless.

ReputationRep:
    If you have no motivation how will you perform to the best of your ability? 2 years will feel like a long time if your opinion of the course doesn't change.
    There's no point being unhappy is the way i see it.
    There's some cons to consider too but - do what makes you happy

ReputationRep:
    Did I write this? I think I wrote this. I feel the exact same way about my course, I just want to choke cause I'm bored all the time. Anyway, I think your decision depends on what your end goal is. I personally am just going to stick it out (as long as I still get decent enough grades) because if I left uni I would still be miserable since there is nothing else I'd rather be doing. You don't have to have a career in biology either, so 2 years isn't that long in the grand scheme of things. However you could take a gap year or look into transferring courses if possible.

I wish I could give you better advice but I say, don't drop out if you do not have a plan. Just try your best for now and see how the next semester goes. Like you, I hate uni, everything about it. I've met nice people but I also don't like partying as much so the social part of uni is 'so so' for me. Anyway, good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.