Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have completed one full time year with the Open University and have just started my second. However I was wondering if it would be possible to transfer and go to a brick uni in January or if I would have to wait until next September? Also do brick universities accept Open Uni credits?

Thank you.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoppyFlew)
    Hello,

I have completed one full time year with the Open University and have just started my second. However I was wondering if it would be possible to transfer and go to a brick uni in January or if I would have to wait until next September? Also do brick universities accept Open Uni credits?

Thank you.
    I don't know any universities that allow students to begin in January, you'll almost certainly have to wait until September.

By transferring, do you mean moving your credits into a brick uni degree and beginning from the second year, or using your OU credits as an alternative to A levels and entering the first year of a brick uni degree? The former is (sometimes) possible but most brick unis won't accept second-year OU transfers. The latter is much more likely, pretty much al unis accept OU credits for first year entry, although the amount of credits you need (and at which level) will vary, so you should email admissions tutors directly and ask.

How many credits have you done and what qualification are you registered on? Studying with the OU for two years is, in my opinion, a bad idea because you risk losing your student finance entitlement.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your advice it is very helpful. I have also been advised to phone student services so I will do that. I am currently studying childhood and youth development and investigating psychology. Do you think I should cancel my second year of open university and stop doing it then?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your advice it is very helpful. I have also been advised to phone student services so I will do that. I am currently studying childhood and youth development and investigating psychology. Do you think I should cancel my second year of open university and stop doing it then?
    It depends on how many credits you're doing, and what qualification you're registered on (BA/BSc, DipHE or CertHE?). If you do 120 credits or more over two years then you risk losing your loan entitlement, if you do less than 120 credits over two years then you should be fine.

The rules are a bit complicated but they essentially say if you receive or qualify for a qualification then your time spent at the OU will be taken into account when Student Finance evaluates how many years of loans you're entitled to. You will qualify for a qualification if you complete 120 credits, but you won't qualify for a qualification if you do less credits than that. That means doing 90 credits over two years is fine, but 120 credits over two years isn't - it's a bizarre rule, but there you are.

If you are registered on a BA or BSc and you do 120 credits over two years then you wouldn't automatically receive a qualification (which means you wouldn't have to declare your OU study on the SFE application), but you would still qualify for a Certificate in Higher Education as an exit award - some people who've done this have slipped under Student Finance's radar, but I don't think it's worth the risk.

How many credits have you done already? 60 credits may be enough to get you onto a degree (especially in Scotland), and it will certainly be enough to get you onto a foundation year. My advice is to contact universities ASAP and ask how many OU credits they require for entry.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Thank you.
    Hi, my friend got into a brick uni with 60 credits and 1 A level so definitely possible.
    Did you study part time or full time at the open uni? if you did just part time then as long as you haven't completed a qualification it will not affect student finance at all.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caelumstar)
    Hi, my friend got into a brick uni with 60 credits and 1 A level so definitely possible.
    Did you study part time or full time at the open uni? if you did just part time then as long as you haven't completed a qualification it will not affect student finance at all.
    All OU study is classed as part-time, and as I said above, it isn't as simple as not having completed a qualification. If you don't complete a degree but you qualify for a certificate as an exit award (whether or not you accept it), your student finance entitlement will be affected.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.