History- 1950's women

Watch this thread
Ruru123
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What was the role of women during the 1950s
username1339858_
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
:confused: why is this in health?

You tell us OP. What was their role?
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ruru123)
I don't know, but I'm pretty sure whatever it was it's not a health issue.
No worries, it happens. I'm going to move this to History Study Help. I'm sure the smarties there will know.
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
where? America? Britain? Somewhere else entirely?
Ruru123
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
where? America? Britain? Somewhere else entirely?
America
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
America
Any particular class?
They were mostly housewifes tbh
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
During the 1950s the US was stuck between WWII and the boom period later in the decade and into the 60s.

Important because the wider distribution of household items like vacuum cleaners and things meant that women in the domestic environment had more time (to play).

Ideas like domesticity, and recreation and employment and the relationship between them are what you should be thinking about.

In the US it was only later in the 60s/70s/80s that the abortion debate really flared up with Phyllis Schlafly etc.

From the 20s and 30s typists were the new waves of clerical female employment, you could make the case that this had become a normalised practice by the 1950s and therefore society had become used to the idea of women working in the male dominated world (regrettably not on equal footing).

I did Women's History at A Level so you're more than welcome to quiz me further.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (57)
16.86%
The paper was reasonable (166)
49.11%
Not feeling great about that exam... (82)
24.26%
It was TERRIBLE (33)
9.76%

Watched Threads