English Lang - B
    Core science -B
    Additional science - A
    PE - C
    French - C
    Health and social care - E
    Arabic - A*
    Construction - Merit

As you can see my GCSEs are absolutely awful and health and social care is something that I’m ashamed especially because it is relevant to medicine. If I apply to Unis that don’t focus on GCSEs do you think I have a chance to get into medicine?

I am currently doing Biology, Chemistry and PE for AS - level.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Med-dream)
    My GCSEs
    Mathematics - B
    English Lit - A
    English Lang - B
    Core science -B
    Additional science - A
    PE - C
    French - C
    Arabic - A*
    Construction - Merit

As you can see my GCSEs are absolutely awful and health and social care is something that I’m ashamed especially because it is relevant to medicine. If I apply to Unis that don’t focus on GCSEs do you think I have a chance to get into medicine?

As long as you have the minimum then there's always a chance. As you said, focus on GCSE light unis and then you can get in, just work super hard at A levels and in UKCAT/BMAT.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you ! I will try my absolute best at A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you ! I will try my absolute best at A levels.
    Type up online and look at medical schools, call them to make sure you can get in with your GCSEs. Make sure that you can get into at least 1 or 2 so you don't waste tons of your time. (I've not looked up many schools in England or the GCSE requirements for them, so it could be that you'd need to retake some subjects if the schools allow it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relentas)
    Type up online and look at medical schools, call them to make sure you can get in with your GCSEs. Make sure that you can get into at least 1 or 2 so you don't waste tons of your time. (I've not looked up many schools in England or the GCSE requirements for them, so it could be that you'd need to retake some subjects if the schools allow it)
    I will, also my school only allows us to retake English and maths if we get bellow a C. Thanks for the advice though.

ReputationRep:
    My GCSEs
    Mathematics - B
    English Lit - A
    English Lang - B
    Core science -B
    Additional science - A
    PE - C
    French - C
    Arabic - A*
    Construction - Merit

There's no harm in applying after your AS exams, however you may find that you don't get any offers, particularly if you aren't sitting external/certificated AS exams. If you get no offers, just take a year out and re-apply with achieved A2 grades and hopefully strong admissions test scores. If you're strategic about how you apply your GCSEs shouldn't be an issue but you will need AAA or higher for A2.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.