Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Unsure about course choice and grades? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm hoping to go to uni but I can't seem to make up my mind on a definitive choice for a course, I thought I'd had it narrowed down to engineering but now I'm not so sure. I'm also not sure about my qualifications.

I became deadset on engineering, specifically mechanical engineering or something very primarily maths based. At the start of my fifth year I wasn't certain on what I wanted to do at uni but I knew it wanted to do something maths based and it eventually developed into aspiring for engineering courses. My higher grades last year were:

English - A
    Maths - B
    Art and Design - B
    Modern Studies - C

... and I failed Chemistry when I was predicted to get a B.

I'm doing AH English and Maths, H Physics and resitting H Chemistry this year. I chose AH English as I figured I was good enough at it, and it was AH level anyway so it'd perhaps give me a taste of uni? So to speak. I don't actually know if that's the case and I'm painfully aware that it isn't relevant to engineering at all, but I really enjoy it and I'm not interested in anything else in the same time slot. I'm doing well in Chemistry and Physics (predicted to get an A 1/2 in both at the moment) and in Maths I'm currently predicted at a high B.

And all the engineering courses I have seen have grade thresholds I barely, if at all meet. One I really liked the look of was Artificial Intelligence engineering at Edinburgh and the minimum requirement was ABBB and at least BBB in one year of s4-s6 for a conditional offer, which I have achieved save for the one B for higher that I did not get. This is the same for other engineering courses at Edinburgh and I'm not sure whether I'd make the conditional since I don't even meet the minimum requirement (as I have heard of people getting into uni with grades lower than their predicted, but I don't want to rely on this as hopes to getting in.) Strathclyde and Glasgow were my other choices but I don't meet the minimum requirements. I know you can still apply if you don't have the required grades, I'm just very unsure about it all.

And now recently my mum mentioned something about uni's actively looking for more girls to go into game design, it sounded very interesting since I love videogames. The whole aspect and process of it too i.e writing, programming, worldbuilding, storyboarding, animation etc. I looked at it for Edinburgh Napier and the minimum was BBBB and if I work hard I can achieve that with my Chemistry and Physics. It sounds so much more interesting but I feel that with engineering I'd have more oppertunities for a career.

The only thing stopping me from that AI engineering course and the games design course is that I don't have any qualifications in a computing subject like IT or Admin, this is going to sound quite sad but I was told in third year that I couldn't take computing science or a game design subject (can't remember the subject) because I was too slow lol. But they only ask for maths and a science even though it's quite computer based?

I don't know, any thoughts? I really want to go to uni and I love maths so these courses seem right but I don't feel like I'd be right for them.

ReputationRep:
    There is a very, very active movement to get women into Engineering to the point where I highly doubt that you would get any greater benefit out of it for video games compared to engineering.

You should be fine doing something like AI engineering without a computer science related course, although it would be strongly advise to do some programming beforehand (it's very easy to do this by yourself, or you may be able to find outreach programs aimed at teaching children, or girls specifically).

I'd say apply, then if you end up getting the grades try to apply through adjustment, or take a gap year.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consectatrix)
    Hey,

I'm hoping to go to uni but I can't seem to make up my mind on a definitive choice for a course, I thought I'd had it narrowed down to engineering but now I'm not so sure. I'm also not sure about my qualifications.

I became deadset on engineering, specifically mechanical engineering or something very primarily maths based. At the start of my fifth year I wasn't certain on what I wanted to do at uni but I knew it wanted to do something maths based and it eventually developed into aspiring for engineering courses. My higher grades last year were:

English - A
    Maths - B
    Art and Design - B
    Modern Studies - C

... and I failed Chemistry when I was predicted to get a B.

I'm doing AH English and Maths, H Physics and resitting H Chemistry this year. I chose AH English as I figured I was good enough at it, and it was AH level anyway so it'd perhaps give me a taste of uni? So to speak. I don't actually know if that's the case and I'm painfully aware that it isn't relevant to engineering at all, but I really enjoy it and I'm not interested in anything else in the same time slot. I'm doing well in Chemistry and Physics (predicted to get an A 1/2 in both at the moment) and in Maths I'm currently predicted at a high B.

And all the engineering courses I have seen have grade thresholds I barely, if at all meet. One I really liked the look of was Artificial Intelligence engineering at Edinburgh and the minimum requirement was ABBB and at least BBB in one year of s4-s6 for a conditional offer, which I have achieved save for the one B for higher that I did not get. This is the same for other engineering courses at Edinburgh and I'm not sure whether I'd make the conditional since I don't even meet the minimum requirement (as I have heard of people getting into uni with grades lower than their predicted, but I don't want to rely on this as hopes to getting in.) Strathclyde and Glasgow were my other choices but I don't meet the minimum requirements. I know you can still apply if you don't have the required grades, I'm just very unsure about it all.

And now recently my mum mentioned something about uni's actively looking for more girls to go into game design, it sounded very interesting since I love videogames. The whole aspect and process of it too i.e writing, programming, worldbuilding, storyboarding, animation etc. I looked at it for Edinburgh Napier and the minimum was BBBB and if I work hard I can achieve that with my Chemistry and Physics. It sounds so much more interesting but I feel that with engineering I'd have more oppertunities for a career.

The only thing stopping me from that AI engineering course and the games design course is that I don't have any qualifications in a computing subject like IT or Admin, this is going to sound quite sad but I was told in third year that I couldn't take computing science or a game design subject (can't remember the subject) because I was too slow lol. But they only ask for maths and a science even though it's quite computer based?

I don't know, any thoughts? I really want to go to uni and I love maths so these courses seem right but I don't feel like I'd be right for them.

Hi Consectatrix,

It's great that you are thinking about your future. I thought you might like to hear about Ravensbourne. We are a digital design and media based institution. Our students are taught by industry professionals in a dynamic open space building. The open plan allows (your students to be in a collaborative environment to work and learn. Our entry requirements are 2 A levels grade C or above) 4 AS levels (grade C or above), 2 vocational A level (grade C or above), Level 3 Foundation Diploma or National Diploma, Advanced Diploma (grade C or above), or International Baccalaureate (28 points or above).

Our BSc (Hons) Broadcast Computing course is the perfect mixture between academic and creative. You will be able to work with TV and Film students as well as working with Fashion students on runway shows. All our students from that course get a job by the end of their three years here. They are always on the lookout for new female students for the course as well. We will also be offering a UX course and Gaming course from next year.

I suggest coming to an open day to find out more about the courses and meet the tutors and current students. We are located in Greenwich, London so if you are nearby I highly recommend coming down to see the building.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions.

Row

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.